Sunday, June 14, 2020

Masks, Decks, Stella and a Winner!

Still making masks--it looks like we will be wearing them for a while. My sons said the two I made them recently were too tight--I used loops made from t-shirts. So when I was able to find elastic at my local quilt shop, I made a few new ones and retro-fitted their others:



My husband is a hardworking man who would rather do it himself. We are having our old deck replaced so he decided to take out the old deck himself so all the contractor has to do is build the new one. I know he is not 30 years old anymore, so I called in reinforcements--our two sons came to help with the labor. Here they are at the end of a long day, but the work is almost all done. The screws are all out  of those boards, they will just be lifted off when the workers arrive to build the new deck. As usual, it took much more effort than anticipated:


Andy, the youngest, brought Stella for me to play with. She is a delightful child, happy and funny and smart. It is very hard to get her to pose--she delights in making "goofy faces" rather than "good faces" so a bit of prompting finally got this., the new 5 year old:

She and her brother Sam are coming for a sleepover soon--so no sewing for me. It takes at least two full grown adults to keep up with a 5 and almost 2 year old. But we love seeing them and having them visit.

Drumroll Please!  The Giveaway winner, chosen by Random Number Generator from 66 comments is Kim W! An email has been sent, Kim, get me your mailing address and I'll send your package on the way:

I looked back to find out when I made this quilt--it was in 2017. I received the four-patches from someone who posted on a Facebook group that she made them from a charm pack but didn't like them and just wanted to give them away. I saw that post almost as soon as she wrote it and said "I'll take them". I put them into this doll-size quilt and had fun practicing free-motion quilting on it.

All the comments were interesting and  touching. Quilting ties so many of us together, making it a smaller world in some ways. Many find it a link to their past and a foot into the future.

By the way, the first 5 people selected did not have an email connected to their profile so were not able to be selected. Lucky for Kim!

Let's quilt,

Barbara

6 comments:

  1. while the guys might think it over kill to do the break down on the old deck...... they have a great story for the next generation ......!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your granddaughter is adorable. I have the same problem with "goofy face" photos with my grandson who is 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your granddaughter is a cutie-pie! Congratulations to Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your winner!
    Yes, still making masks here, now and then. I keep a few cut out and sew some up if requested, but I no longer hunt people down asking if they want some. :)
    Do-it-yourselfers can use a helping hand--especially on such a big project. That is great that your sons pitched in.
    Stella is adorable. I've been through that experience trying to get photos of a grandchild that won't keep a straight face. You did very well on this one!
    Congrats to your winner! A 4-patch quilt is timeless--and the scrappier, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deck work is so intense! You have wonderful sons to come help!! And Stella is a mini-you! LOL! Congrats to Kim. I love story behind the lil quilt :)

    ReplyDelete