Sunday, August 16, 2020

New Workshops

 In between other projects, and "secret sewing", I've been working on a few new ideas for workshops. For when we all get together to sew and laugh again.

COBBLESTONES:

I love this great block, from an antique quilt. After searching Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Patterns to no available, I drew it in EQ8. I tried it in 12"--too big. I tried it in 9" and 8" and 7" blocks--the measurements were too wacky, hard to rotary cut easily. The 6" size was just right. It is not as easy to piece accurately as it looks so the class is recommended for the "Confident Beginner"--someone who knows how to sew an accurate 1/4" seam on their machine. The centers--the square in a square in a square--are made with Freezer Paper Piecing--a nifty skill to learn. I used scraps of repro fabrics in red, blue and tan, but any colors/style you like will work. The plain alternate blocks are perfect for fancy quilting--use a print there if you want simple quilting options. 

IT'S A PUZZLE: 



Based on an antique crib quilt, this looks far more complicated than it is. A simple little block in 3", 4" or 6"size, some dark, some light, will give you lots of design options to play with. A great project for those times when you just want to sew, and not  have to think real hard. A scrap buster for sure.

LOVE YOUR LAYOUT: 


7 comments:

  1. Love these. Wishing for a time soon when sew-togethers are again possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- these are all fun! I particularly like Cobblestones; that's a really cool layout. But all that blank/negative space to be quilted would (does) intimidate me! I'm ready for workshops and classes and in-person guild meetings again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel that way, now I see it as a great place for ruler work!

      Delete
  3. Like all of your ideas for classes. I would especially enjoy the chance to try out some different layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, Will you be selling the pattern for Cobblestones?

    ReplyDelete