Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Small Finishes and the Joy of Giving

Recently, I took the time to finish a few small quilts that only needed quilting and binding:

A Lone Star that was a class sample, 23" square, the top was made years ago when I wanted to play with these colors/fabrics:

Three small minis, all about 10" x 13":



A baby quilt, ready the next time I need one, leftovers from Afternoon Delight, 35" square: 



After being involved with my friend Janet's Estate Liquidation sale, I looked at my own abundance of wealth quilting stuff. There were 381 unfinished quilt tops at Janet's sale and almost all of them found good homes. Some lacked one border, and the border was included in the bag with the unfinished top. We often wondered why? Why did she not spend another half hour and totally finish the top? They ranged in size from baby to king size. 

Here is one of hers I got--it needs some kind of outside border and I think I will remove a few of the bottom rows to make it a better size:

Just some of the tops packaged for sale, prices ranged from $10-50, depending on size and complexity:

A satisfied customer, Denise Panter, wrote about her acquisitions in her blog Blog



Now I am on to quilting a few of the larger tops I have ready. Basting is my least favorite part of the process, but once done, the quilt is ready for the magic to happen. Once 3 large quilts are quilted, I will get back to piecing a new top I have in progress.

In addition to finishing my PHD's--projects half done--I have been giving a few quilts away. Mostly to non-quilters who I think would appreciate having a quilt I made. Last weekend I did that in Dallas. Shelly Heesacker is the TV producer who works with The Quilt Show. I have appeared as the "guest artist" three times now, so have had telephone interviews with Shelly each time to prepare the show. And then have the pleasure of working with her in the studio. She is the consummate professional--no wonder she also works with Harpo Productions and other top notch companies. 

A week before the trip I asked in an email about her favorite colors. Then I sent her photos of 5 quilts and asked her opinion. She thought I was asking about which to bring for set decoration and raved about one in particular. That was the ONE I had hoped she would choose. The first day of taping I had her read the label, where I had added the phrase "Presented to Shelly Heesacker 8/2020". It was the  perfect gift for the perfect person. She was overwhelmed and I was happy to see her so thrilled with her totally unexpected gift. That evening she asked that we take a photo together of the occasion:

The quilt was a class sample from 15 years ago, never to be taught again, and I am so happy it has a new home. My kids are happy too--they don't want them all and I still have at least 100. Here is Shiloh resting in my hotel room after being in the luggage for the trip:

The most important thing I have to do now is move the photo of this quilt from the folder "Quilts for Classes" to "Quilts Given Away". That will save me time  years from now when I forget I have given it away and search my home to find it. Been there, done that!

On to basting then Let's quilt!

Barbara




4 comments:

  1. that was a large estate sale - I plan to never be one to leave that much unfinished and rarely have more than 10 at the most going and keep up with my quilting too. I hope your friend enjoyed making all that she left behind it will leave others with a lot of joy. I have seen a few quilters estate sales like that and it reminds me of hoarding

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have given away so many more than I own. I almost feel quilty wanting to make one just for me. I have been thinking a lot about it since the estate sale. That was actually the main reason I did not attend. While I know it made her happy, i decided I needed to keep myself happy using my unfinished projects and all my fabrics first. But, I do need to sew for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estate planning should include the dilemma of what to do with our stash when we’re gone. I will be at a stitching retreat and one of the topics up for discussion is just that. Most of us have more than one hobby-lucky us. I'm glad your beautiful quilt went to a great home. Shelly is a very deserving recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, your comment about removing a few bottom rows of a quilt top brought to mind a question I've wondered before now: is there a recommended ratio for a rectangular quilt? Width compared to length?

    ReplyDelete