Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Photo Shoot

 It is good to have a professional photographer in the family. I recently took 25 quilts to Nashville so my son could shoot excellent photos of them for an upcoming online Special Exhibit. 

Our son, Joshua Black Wilkins, makes his living as a photographer--when there are jobs. Check out his website: jbw photography Please note, there is a section of nudes that may not be for everyone.

I found myself saying "this is one of my favorites", over and over. Only two of these are published patterns, all the rest are my original design or a very traditional quilt pattern. Most of the rest of the Exhibit are almost my own design. Called "My Joyful Journey", it is the story of my work as a quiltmaker, from the beginning in 1985 to today.

Here are just a few "behind the scenes" shots I took during the shoot:

Back in Time--I hand quilted this one and it is one of my most favorites:


Lone Star Garden:


Pieces of the Past--Circa 1875: 

Lifetime Quilt:

Waste Not, Want Not:


Devil's Claw:

A-Symmetrical Six-Pence: 

First time being photographed, not for the Exhibition, Foothills: 


The oldest one in the group: Charm Quilt--Thousand Pyramids, made with blocks swapped in my first guild, 1988-1989. The inner black border is badly faded from sunlight damage: 



It took some effort to gather all 25 from  around my home and load them in the car. Then we drove 2.25 hours to Nashville. Having some help made it go pretty fast, we were done in 2.5 hours. After lunch we hit the road south and were home before dinner. 

My plan is to publish an e-book with all the quilts and their stories. More about that when it happens.

Let's quilt,

Barbara

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful event! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful quilts! I think you should publish and sell some of these patterns. Thank you for sharing your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilts! Gotta love it when our sons help us out and are so accomplished in what they do! Congratulations on both quilts and son. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, they are all beautiful. I am so happy for you that you will have your special exhibit online - just think of all the new people who will see your wonderful work! So exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bunch of beauties, Barbara. And your Lifetime quilt still leaves my jaw hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice quilt show today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto what Janet said about your Lifetime Quilt. Stunning. Your work is all so beautiful. Fun that Joshua could use his passion to document your passion! I love that! Looking forward to the show ... and the ebook with the stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just seeing those 9 or so proves to me you have an amazing talent. Thank you for sharing. Can't wait for the book with the stories. You are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete