Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The BIG BOOK of Amish Quilts

Amish quilts have spoken to me since I was a young girl. Growing up in Philadelphia, my Girl Scout Troop took a trip to Lancaster County, PA, the heart of Amish country, when I was about 10. There I saw my first Amish quilt and thought "I could never make one of those".

I was learning to sew thanks to a wonderful 7th grade Home Ec teacher. The sewing bug really bit and I started making clothes for myself and simple home items like pillows.

Fast forward to 1985 when I was introduced to quiltmaking by a friend who was taking a class. She taught me what she was learning and I never looked back. From 1985 to today, I have made hundreds of quilts and have hundreds more I want to make.

Working for Quilts Inc. I get to attend the Houston International Quilt Festival, International Quilt Market and the other shows we produce. Some years ago I met one of the legends in the quilt industry--at least to me:  Julie Silber:

I knew she collected and sold antique quilts. She had been the Curator of an extensive collection of Amish quilts, owned by the Esprit Corporation and on display in their corporate offices. She had authored or worked on more than a few important books about quilt history.

Walking through her booth in Houston the first time, I just thought what a wealth of quilts there was there. But more importantly, what a wealth of knowledge Julie has in her diminutive frame. She was busy with a customer so I walked away. Then quickly returned. When she was free I told her I thought she was one of the Treasures in the Quilt Community and I was thrilled to meet her. Yes, Fan Girl here.
One of Julie's booths at a show, somewhere--Eye Candy!

That was the beginning on a long friendship and we look forward to seeing each other at all our shows. I also learn a lot from her on a Facebook group, Quilts--Vintage and Antique. She posts simply stunning antique quilts on her personal Facebook page too.

Recently, she announced she had a few copies of a book of Amish quilts for sale. The original price in 1990 was $100--that was a LOT of money back then for a book. Her price now was $55 plus postage. I jumped on the chance to own this book, having no idea what it looked like or anything about it.

Let me show you. The box was BIG and heavy:


Carefully opening it I saw:


Now that's a book! In a black hard cover protective sleeve, very classy:

 It is almost 15" square:
What a lovely inscription:
 And BIG print!:

It features all 82 of the Amish Quilts that were in the 1990 Exhibition Amish: The Art of the Quilt at the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco. Julie was the Curator of this Exhibition. The photos are spectacular:
Sunshine and Shadow
 Another favorite:
Double Ninepatch

In my early quiltmaking years, the mid-to-late 1980's, I learned so much about quiltmaking from Roberta Horton's book, An Amish Adventure. A small group of us from my first guild, the Virginia Star Quilters, of Fredericksburg, VA, worked on quilts from the book, teaching each other as we went. I still have mine and wouldn't give them up for anything:

The largest is 20" x 28", the smallest is 6" x 8"
I learned to hand quilt with these, though a few are machine quilted by me, poorly. I learned about different kinds of batting and thread, and how to apply skinny bindings, and fat bindings. They taught me that I really could make an Amish quilt for a bed someday. It's just one step after another.

 So far, I have made two. This one is about 45" square, very traditional to Pennsylvania Amish colors and style. I hand quilted it. It is my tribute to all the quilters who have gone before me:

Title: Almost Amish

The second one is not true to Amish tradition but gives the feel of Amish Quilts. The pattern is Southern Star by Debbie Maddy and is made from from half square triangles instead of diamonds:

Title: Amish Southern Super Star
So, if you are still here, I have good news and bad. The bad is Julie has no more of this BIG Book.

The GOOD news is she has more than a few copies of Amish Quilts of Lancaster County, the Catalog  that was created at the same time as the BIG Book--it includes 28 photos, about a third of the quilts in the 1990 Exhibition.  Those who went to the Exhibition could purchase this soft-cover catalog at a reasonable price, $14.95. Julie will sell these for $10 + media mail. See her shop here:   Julie Silber Quilts on Facebook  or her website: Julie Silber Quilts

I  have been inspired by many quilters over the years. The ironic thing here--Julie doesn't make quilts, never has, never will. But she sure knows lots of stuff about them! Pretty inspiring. And I am still a fan.

Consider adding the Catalog to your collection--you can do a lot worse than make an Amish quilt or two.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara! I just happened on your blog today and I'm happy to tell you I have a copy of this wonderful "Amish The Art of the Quilt" book that was a gift from my dear husband when I was a new quilter. I also have the 2nd edition of Roberta Horton's "An Amish Adventure". I've made two Almost Amish quilts in the nearly 30 years I've been a quiltmaker.

    Wishing you well! Barbara Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny that Julie has never quilted. Almost as funny as one of our nicest semi-local quilt stores being owned by a woman who also has never made a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Amish style quilts, I'll have to get a copy of the catalog to add to my Amish Quilt LIbrary. Julie is such a hoot - I've met her through the AQSG and Seminars. Her booth is always amazing.

    ReplyDelete