Sunday, August 8, 2021

Kool Kaleidoscope is Fun

 Ricky Tims conducted a free four-session class on his Kool Kaleidoscope pattern. It was so much fun to make. You simply don't know what you'll get--just sew a bunch of fabric stratas, cut the pieces out from the templates you draw and sew it together.

I got the center done quickly then waited for his instructions on making the borders. I had a plan, didn't execute it very well, so spent hours fixing what I did wrong. But, all is well now, the top is done and I'll have fun quilting it in September or so. It's 50" square: 


Here is what I thought I wanted to do with the borders, use the "focus" fabric. Didn't like that when I put the fabrics on the wall:



Another OOPS: when I laid out all the wedges on the design wall, it looked right. I sewed the top half together, no problem. When I started the lower half, I discovered I had the entire bottom half laid out backwards. It's easy to do, you don't see the mistakes up close, but I didn't even see it in photos. No worries, just change all the pieces around and all was good. Here is what it looked like WRONG:



This free class was provided courtesy of The Quilt Show. It is still available free on The Quilt Show. Ricky's instructions are clear and easy for most to understand. You don't have to be Star Member to benefit from this class.  There is so much available on The Quilt Show, even for Basic Members. To benefit the most from ALL the classes and shows, become a Star Member. So much value for the money.

I have a ZOOM Lecture to give Tuesday night for the Ninigret Quilters of Rhode Island. I was supposed to fly there Tuesday, lecture that night, teach a workshop Wednesday, and fly home Thursday. With the increase in COVID infections, breakthrough infections for vaccinated people, asking people to mask and keep social distance again, the decision was made to convert my Lecture to ZOOM.

I am OK with that--better safe than sorry. I must be healthy two weeks from now when I fly to Dallas to tape The Quilt Show again. The guild will see the same PowerPoint on the same screen--I'll just be pushing the buttons in  my studio instead of in their meeting location. And I really hope to get there for a workshop in the future, when travel is less daunting than it is today.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


1 comment:

  1. I made almost the same mistake with mine...when I picked up the upper quadrants off the design wall, I sewed them together the wrong way. It looked ok until I tried to sew top and bottom together...nothing matched at all! Easy fix with the help of my trusty seam ripper but took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what I had done! I am going to try and do the border doing more strata and templates as Ricky showed in last class. Very fun project. Highly recommend going to The Quilt Show and doing this fun project.

    ReplyDelete