Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sunday Stacks

 The wonderful Linda Collins from Australia started posting a photo on Instagram and Facebook each Sunday she calls "Sunday Stacks". As you would expect--a stack of quilts, usually with a theme or reason for being cuddled together.

Today, I have two Sunday Stacks. The first is quilts basted and ready to be quilted.

The large one on the bottom is the king-size Western Sun, 110" x 110"--I have to clear the decks when I start to quilt this one. Western Sun

Next up is Hummingbird Hollow, a variation of Afternoon Delight--it is about half quilted but had to be put away so I could work on more pressing projects. Hummingbird Hollow

On top of that is 9 Patchalong 2.0--Natalia Bonner has a free sew-along starting in September, I learn so much from her, and this is a simple 9 Patch quilt to be used for that project. 9 Patchalong 2.0

Next up is a simple top I made from a charm pack--I had forgotten I made it. The plan is to really play with a variety of quilting designs to increase my skill. 

Finally, the Kool Kaleidoscope is all set and ready for quilting--this too, will get lots of interesting designs in the various colors/sizes of fabric. Kool Kaleidoscope


This other Sunday Stack features the quilts I am taking to Dallas with me later this month for taping The Quilt Show. Since the majority of my larger quilts are in Houston for my Special Exhibit, I had to dig deep to find pieces that will complement the program: 



One thing I do that really helps me in the finishing process, is to prepare the binding and sleeve for each top as I get the top made. Sometimes it is years before the top gets quilted and having the binding all set means I don't accidently use that fabric for something else OR forget where I put it. Once the top is done, I know what size binding I need so can prepare it. The fabrics are still out on the table so I won't have to dig them out later. With the binding made, the fabrics can be safely put back in the closet.

Once I have a backing selected, I prepare the sleeve right then too. Yes, I put a sleeve on every quilt I make, from small wallhangimgs  to king-size bed quilts. I am not the person up late the night before the quilts are due for exhibition still sewing the required sleeve in  place--my sleeve is part of the finishing process for every quilt. 

Bagged and labeled, bindings and sleeves usually: 


See posts/Tutorials I have written on the finishing process here:


Quilt Labels--I also make a permanent label for each quilt, and if wool batt is used, I say "air dry only"

Let's quilt.

Barbara

4 comments:

  1. YES! As you suggested in class, I cut my binding as soon as I finish pin-basting my quilts. That one step removes any excuses for not immediately proceeding to the binding application. As for a sleeve, my husband made this recommendation: splitting the width of the sleeve into two halves, allowing for a small gap in the middle. Enough space so that a middle bracket can be used on a wide curtain rod or dowel. Otherwise, I apply my sleeves following your tutorial. He's planning our travel for 2022 and already asked about the dates for any quilt retreats...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On really large quilts it is helpful to have that space in the middle for an additional support. I regret it when I don't do that.
      Might have an opening in the 3rd Joyful Journey Retreat March 9-13, will know after September 8 when this year's attendees get first chance to register.

      Delete
  2. RE: FMQ large quilts. I quilt using my sit-down sewing machine. The quilt I'm working on right now is 90x90. I wonder if you do any edge to edge FMQ on large quilts? I gave that up and quilt each square separately. Not necessarily the same, but edge-to-edge on a large quilt is more than I can master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Did edge to edge Baptist fan on twin size. And Lifetime 100" square, I did long diagonal lines, essentially edge to edge. The next large one will be by the block.

      Delete