Sunday, August 22, 2021

Masks Again

 I thought I was done making masks. But with COVID cases rising and my state woefully under-vaccinated, my husband and I  have started masking up in public again. And avoiding the public as much as possible.

Those in the front are made with my favorite pattern. It is "3-D"--meaning it stands away from the mouth. I wrote about it some months ago, find that post 3-D Mask..

International Quilt Market and Festival announced this week that all attendees, exhibitors, faculty, and staff will be required to wear a mask at all times to attend. Depending on what happens in the next few months, proof of full vaccination and/or a proof of a negative COVID test MAY also be required.

This is so sad. We were so hopeful people would be eager to get the vaccine to protect themselves, those they love and their fellow countrymen (and women). To see grown adults screaming at school boards that their children should not be required to wear a mask is beyond my comprehension. Those kids are not protected. 

I wish my grandchildren could be protected by not coming into contact with any unvaccinated person but I cannot be sure of that. 

We will protect ourselves as best we can, and hope those dying in ICUs, who chose not to get vaccinated and are now begging everyone else to not make the same mistake, will have a beneficial effect on those who have not yet done all they can to get us past this pandemic.

While this is only slightly about quilting, in that I used my precious quilt fabric to make something I wish I didn't need, if you disagree, I encourage you to just move on by. We won't change each other's minds. Arguments are not welcome. 

This is my blog, about my life and my thoughts and my journal of what is happening in my world. 

And now, let's quilt.

Barbara

19 comments:

  1. I’m with you. How many of the people refusing/complaining about the COVID are alive today because they received MMR and DPT vaccines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Registered Nurse who came out of retirement to work a vaccination site for 3 months, I stand with you! When we were able to go to age 12 with Pfizer, it was heartbreaking to have the younger siblings begging me to break the rules and just give them one as well "just don't tell anyone".

    I too am in a state out West with low vaccination and much conspiracy belief. It is heartbreaking to have full hospitals and healthcare workers going through this again. The mental toll is relentless.

    When vaccines took off, I almost invested money in attending Houston. Now? I'm so glad I did not. I do hope it is safe for those who attend, if it still happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% with you all. Barbara, I clicked on the link in the paragraph about the 3D masks above and it goes to the wrong post. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know--the link is now fixed.

      Delete
  4. Barbara, regarding your “stance” on masks and vaccinating - I’m so with you! We’re in bad shape here in Texas (as I’m sure you’ve heard) and it’s just beyond comprehension that people aren’t still lining up for the vaccine as we were when it first came out. My 10YO granddaughter is part of the Pfizer vaccine study for kids under 12 - I’ve told her how she’s a pioneer in the journey to find a vaccine for younger children - that she’ll be helping millions of kids around the world. So proud of her - and her parents! (BTW, the link you provided for the mask directions go to another page, not the mask.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know--the link is now fixed.

      Grateful you granddaughter will be part of the solution.

      Headed to Dallas later this week to tape The Quilt Show--staying away from the public until then.

      Delete
  5. Thank you Barbara! Very well said… We’re in Southern California, but doing the same thing - masking up again and staying away from crowds whenever possible, but I worry about our extended family of in-laws who live and work in Huntsville. Meanwhile Imkeep busy in my studio with Color My World!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100% and we’ll said. Our schools are not requiring masks and it’s scary. My great granddaughter started kindergarten and few are wearing masks not even her teacher. Because of her moms job we see her for a couple hours after school most days of the week. How horrible it would be if she brought the virus to us. We are both 69 and my husband using oxygen at night after heart surgery 3 years ago. Just shouldn’t have to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree with your thoughts here, Barbara. Why did public health and safety become a political issue??? My husbands uncle just passed away Thursday from complications of COVID. Just hadn't gotten around to getting vaccinated yet. So sad. And my heart breaks for the healthcare workers being put into this mess again. Just shouldn't have to happen--so preventable. Yes, the parents screaming at school boards and lawmakers is happening here, too, and it leaves me dumbfounded. Reason and logic seem to have fled in the face of conspiracy theories and "individual rights".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet O., you said it especially well. Just wanted to mention that for anyone on the fence, if you get the two vaccine shots in different arms, it reduces the side effects. I had no side effects whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stand in agreement with your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand how you feel about making masks again.... This new variant began here about a month ago and at first we wore our old masks but we only had a few because until vaccinations my husband did not go into the office so the few places we went, those masks were enough. But now he is back in the office, we are going back to church, and we need more so I don't have to constantly wash. We also have a friend working in the school system who has difficulty wearing masks with elastic, so I am making more masks with ties for him.
    I have to say that I procrastinated a bit before beginning to sew them again. There were definitely emotions involved... those feelings of being sad to have to make them but thankful to have the skills and supplies to do so. Just troubling times, but we are strong and we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s unfortunate we must return to some limitations, but necessary. I’m doing mask construction too. New ones for family members, especially the little ones returning to school, to replace thoroughly worn out masks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same thing for me. More masks made and some older ones retired from multiple washings. Everywhere I go I see people going about their lives as if nothing is wrong. No masks, in groups, laughing and having fun. When they get Covid, our health care workers have to risk their health caring for them. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

    ReplyDelete