Sunday, June 5, 2022

BIRTHDAY FUN

 I don't usually have lots of birthday activities but this year was different.

First, my family bought tickets to our local minor league baseball team, the Rocket City Trash Pandas.

We were blessed with "Chamber of Commerce" weather, temps in the low 70's and low humidity: 



The Trash Pandas scored 5 runs in the first inning and went on to win, 8-1, over the Smokies:


My eldest son, Joshua, joined us from Nashville and the Littles had a great time, they love to see Uncle Josh: 


The little cell phone purse I made passed Security with no problem—the woman working my gate loved it and wanted to know where I got it:



The evening included Fireworks--they were great: 

The game was fun, the food was very expensive, but being with my family for the night was priceless! Thanks, kids, for our great night out.

The next wonderful thing that happened was:


TOP GUN MAVERICK!!! My favorite movie of all time is TOP GUN and I have been eagerly awaiting this sequel for awhile. Great story line, well told, exciting flying scenes, and really good character portrayals. You don't need to have seen the original to be able to follow this one. But, we fans caught lots of connections with the original.

My last duty station in the United States Marine Corps was with VMAT-202, the A-6 Training Squadron at MCAS Cherry Point. It was the first stop after flight school for new Marine Corps A-6 pilots and their backseat partners. 

I got a three hour ride on a training flight before I left the Marine Corps--what a really fun day that was: 

 
So, I know these guys--all full of themselves, the best of the best, eager to show what they can do, and it doesn't hurt that they are so good-looking in their youthful prime! I loved Top Gun Maverick and plan to see it in the theater once more. Whether I will ultimately watch it more than a dozen times, as I have the original, remains to be seen.

On my actual birthday, my husband gave me the book I asked for Where the Crawdads Sing, and took me out for a really nice meal at a local fine dining restaurant.

Nick's Ristorante is one of those hidden gems that remain a secret. We had been there many years ago. Small, intimate, excellent food, top notch service, it's no wonder reservations are essential. We didn't have reservations--who needs those at 5 pm on a Wednesday? Apparently, we should have. But the kind owner/hostess gave us the last two-top and we were able to enjoy a great meal. 

Our two-hour visit was the way you should enjoy fine dining. There was no rush to get us out:

My view of the main dining room

Spring salad with added grilled shrimp, Caprese salad for my hubby

Crab cakes and risotto for me, Penne Stroganoff for my hubby--we each took half home. They presented me with a Birthday card signed by all the staff

Tiramisu--I had a few bites, hubby polished off the rest


We will dine here again for a special occasion. And will make reservations well in advance. They said the Valentine's reservations are booked up 2-3 MONTHS out...

Now that celebrating my day is past, it's time to get back to real life.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! Looks like you had an amazing birthday!! So I have to ask, is there a pattern for the cell phone purse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote about it last week--found several on Pinterest and modified so as to not have to add a zipper:
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2022/05/just-few-tidbits-and-going-to-texas.html

      Delete
  2. Well, happy birthday to you! Sounds like the pre-birthday and the actual birthdays were spent well. My BFF's SIL used to work for the Smokies several years ago. I thought that was a funny connection. And now that you're back to normal, welcome back to reality! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is good! Any day on this side of the dirt is a good day.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! - looks like great times with family. Enjoy the book, I really liked it. Haven't seen Maverick yet, but plan to.

    ReplyDelete