Sunday, June 12, 2022

Disappearing Patchwork

 I am still working on a Neutral quilt design. What I want to use is a block created with the "disappearing patchwork" process. What I like about this is you don't really get to plan where each fabric will go--how you rearrange the blocks once they are cut up and sewn back together will determine which fabrics go where.

Here are a few ideas I have worked up in EQ8. Let me know if any of them appeal. They are in my favorite order, at this moment.

1. Four Disappearing Pinwheel blocks in the center. A variety of pieced borders surround the center. They can be changed to any blocks you like for those pieced borders. Floater borders make everything fit perfectly:



2. Two different Disappearing Patchwork blocks, set off with sashing. The outer pieced border is fast to make and the four corner blocks can be anything you like: 



3. Sixteen Disappearing Pinwheel blocks which can be turned many different ways. A simple pieced border of pinwheels and quarter square triangles frame the quilt:


4.  Two different Disappearing Patchwork blocks, set off with sashing. A simple border is made more interesting with your choice of corner blocks: 



So far I  have made 4 Disappearing Pinwheel blocks. They can be arranged in at least two different ways. My favorite:




The other arrangement, which has potential, especially if using just this block--I like the strong diagonal line created by the pinwheels:


Working with NEUTRAL fabrics is not my usual style. The whole idea for me with this quilt is to try something different. Overall, they look darker than I envisioned--I have a tendency to still choose Light, Medium and Dark Values of all the fabrics. 

Here is what it might look like with lighter value fabrics:

I won't proceed until I have a design I really like. Can't say I am there yet. 

Your thoughts are welcome!

Let's quilt.

Barbara

12 comments:

  1. Number 1 is my favorite 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, this is Janet O. For some reason blogger will only let me use my google account to sign in on random blogs. Numbers 1 and 3 really speak to me. I have never been tempted to do a neutral quilt, but your ideas are intriguing. I am afraid halfway through, my brain would be screaming for more color! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd. No explaining blogger. I am thinking 1 and 3 make the cut.

      Delete
  3. #1 is also my favorite, but I'm drawn to #3 as well. However, I am intrigued. Every disappearing pinwheel block I have seen has half square triangles in the final block. Your blocks don't. How can that be? Have a blessed day and stay COOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinwheels are made separately, not by instructions I found for this block. Then a big 9 patch is created and cut in quarters--easy peasy. I have a Disappearing Patchwork board on my Pinterest feed.

      Delete
    2. Laura Swinney - HoustonJune 13, 2022 at 7:10 AM

      Number 1 is my favorite too!

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry. I misread "Disappearing Patchwork" as "Disappearing Pinwheel". Duh! Have a great day.

      Delete