Sunday, June 19, 2022

Teaching Trip to Asheville, NC

 This week I will be presenting a Lecture and teaching a Workshop for the Asheville Quilt Guild in Asheville, NC. 

The Biltmore Estate

No, I won't be staying here or presenting here, but the Biltmore Estate is a spectacular place and well worth a visit. My husband and I had a wonderful visit to Asheville in 2013--read all about it here: Southern Sojourn

The Lecture will be Tuesday June 21, 2022, at the Asheville Quilt Guild meeting. It is based on my most popular Blog post ever

I provide suggestions for how to help our families deal with all our STUFF--once we no longer need it. It can be an overwhelming task, which is why most of us don't do it. But SOMEONE will have to deal with it eventually. There are 10 tips I discuss in detail--if you do one a month in less than a year you will have the job done. 

The workshop is Wednesday June 22, 2022. One of my favorite classes to teach: ANTIQUE ROSE STAR BY MACHINE:

 I have made large ones and small ones. They can be bed quilts or placemats or anything in between.

While you can make them with the dreaded "Y Seam"--it isn't hard when you know the trick. Here is a smaller version:

Just about every time I teach this I write a blog about it because we just have so much FUN! And the student's work is so great--each person uses wonderful fabrics they love. Find just two of those posts here, there are more you can find with the SEARCH box in the upper left:

Class Finish

Antique Rose Stars

Because Asheville, NC is in the mountains, I was hoping it will be much cooler there. But, alas, that is not going to be the case. We will be comfortably inside, sewing all day for the workshop. 

I bet there will be a new blog about teaching Antique Rose Stars by Machine in the not-too-distant future.

Let's quilt.

Barbara



4 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara - Asheville is a wonderful place! My mother-in-law grew up on the Biltmore estate - her father was the estate ranger and they lived in a cabin there. She and her sisters attended Christmas parties in the house for the employees and their families. And my father-in-law worked for the Biltmore Dairy. I’m from Texas and we went to Asheville the first Christmas Dale and I were married. His dad had gotten us (free!!) tickets for the Biltmore House and I was truly amazed that a house like that existed in the US - it was like something out of a gothic novel! We’ve been back many times since but the awe I felt during that first visit will stay with me forever. Your lecture and class look great - wish we were gonna be there for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to that Last Will post. I've saved it to my estate planning information folder so I can find it again. The snarky side of me says dealing with my stashes will be payback for all the picking up after others I've done. But when I see the look on DS's face when I quip "One day this will be all yours" (and that's just while in the sewing room)... no, I can't do that to him.
    Someday, I'd love to get out east to see those lovely mansions, and their gardens. Taking your classes there would be icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol here! Workshop was wonderful! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Carol. You were a wonderful part of the class.

      Delete