Sunday, October 16, 2022

Antique Rose Star

Recently, I spent the day with 5 lovely quilters as they learned how to make Antique Rose Star blocks by machine.

This is a great class to teach because the technique for mastering this block is something new to most students. And when I see the A-HA moment in their eyes I know they get it!

Only one problem for me--I want come right home and make another one. 

This is a popular class I teach to lots of guilds--it has the advantage of being able include students who want to hand piece instead of machine piece--both can be part of the same class. 

The blocks each contain 72 Kite-shaped pieces, exactly the same shape and size. Here are my samples:

Hand quilted with big stitch, about 65" square

A Table Topper featuring just ONE block--about 36" wide


A much smaller version--these kites are 1.5" high finished

You can even make a table runner. This is a gift I received from my friend Sharon: 


Here are the blocks the students worked on in class:

Amanda

Sally

Sandy

Glenda

Shelley
I  have seen these made in bright, modern fabrics, in Daiwabo muted woven fabrics, in solids. It's  hard to make a bad one if you like your fabrics.

Great job, ladies! I look forward to seeing where you go from  here.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


6 comments:

  1. It is intriguing to me that you get such a lovely block from the shape of a child's toy. :) They are beautiful blocks, and it appears that your students all caught on wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed this class & am making progress on my blocks. While this is the most difficult quilt in my ten month quilting journey, I do believe it will be my most beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sold - where to get the pattern????

    ReplyDelete
  4. well my sold comment has not come up BUT I googled antique rose star and they found it in Material Obsession book two and I HAVE that book..... now off to FIND that book..... have a great Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also can buy Kite templates from Marti Michell. www.frommarti.com

      Delete
    2. Also you can buy templates for the Kite at www.frommarti.com
      Use the Search box above for Antique Rose star to see several more posts about this

      Delete