Sunday, October 2, 2022

It's That Time of Year

Fall brings cooler temperatures which I love. It also means many of us are getting ready to go to Houston for the world's largest quilt show:  International Quilt Festival--often known by only one name: HOUSTON!

I also go to International Quilt Market, so I will be in Texas for two weeks. 

Those who work in the Education Department are often lucky enough to be given fabric from one of several great manufacturers to use for a garment. This helps identify us as "staff" on the third floor where all classes, lectures and special events are held. We can make whatever we like and each day on the schedule is designated for a specific garment.

So, it's time to make the Garment. Here are several from years gone by, some of which will be worn this year:


My new one for 2022 uses fabric by Art Gallery, from their GRID collection:


I made it reversible for twice the use: 


This is Kaffe Fassett's 85th birthday year and there will be some celebrating at Market. Here are two Kaffe garments I made years ago--we had these fabrics in 2005 and 2008. I will wear one of these for the celebration:


And since I'm showing off my IKEA bookcases, here are two of my most favorite things on those bookcases.

Sue Garman, my dear friend and a mentor, was the designer of Afternoon Delight, the quilt we used for the 2020 Block of the Month for The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. I went to Dallas to tape the show, using the sample quilt I made along with great help from the Sunday Sew and Sews.  We had this lovely photograph of Sue on the table during the interview. I felt she was there with me. I see her lovely smile every day and miss her always:


Many years ago I was an Admin Officer in the United States Marine Corps. My first duty station was MCAS Cherry Point, in North Carolina. One of the clerks in my unit, H&HS-28, was a cartoonist and he surprised me with this caricature. He didn't sign or date it and I cannot remember his name, I am very sorry to say. This has been with me for 45 years and is one of my most treasured items:


Also, sad to say, I still have those chunky calves.

Lots to do before heading to Houston. The "Secret Sewing" has begun for the 2023 Block of the Month quilt--it will be revealed very soon. Several other great quilts have to get made or finished. I am always busy, happily so.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


11 comments:

  1. I am beyond bummed not to be going this year (family wedding)- and YES your jacket is wonderful this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your reversible jacket. And yes, your class in Mobile , AL was inspiring. Meeting you may have hooked me into starting block of the month.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited for the 2023 BOM. 2020 BOM was the first one I have actually made although I have all the yearly patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got my garment made too. See you in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m replying to your latest blog because I don’t know if you’d see this comment in your blog from about a year ago. After all, you do have a life 😁. I had to pause work on my 2021 BOM until recently, and now I’ll be finishing it!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou for posting the pattern size for those of us who want to replace Wendy’s 4 corner buildings with something else. Mine will be four seasons of trees. I used Scott Hansen’s Painted Forest tree patterns at half-size. I’m piecing the top in quadrants, which makes it so much easier to handle. Sewing a big ring onto a large circle seems unnecessarily crazy to me. Can’t wait to see how my quilt top will look when it’s all together. Thank you for your continued excellent instruction, and thank you to TQS for providing this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, I so appreciate your kind words. I would have seen a comment on earlier blogs but this is fine too.

      Delete
  6. What a happy post and so much to look forward too....

    ReplyDelete