Wednesday, March 13, 2019

How About a Nine-Patch?

As I ponder my Next Lifetime Quilt, I am considering the simple Nine-Patch.

Here is an odd antique top I bought somewhere:


I bought it primarily as a fabric study. Here are some details:








Full of wonderful old prints, this would be an "inspiration" quilt--I cannot see myself replicating it exactly like this. I do love the different sizes of the nine-patches, but why are the tiny ones out there on the edge?

If I were to put it together block-to-block, my precision would have to be a bit better than this. How about adding a narrow sashing between blocks? That would let each block shine just a bit more. Using a variety of shirtings for sashing, or just one fabric?

My pieces would be smaller as I have lots of 2" strips leftover from the Lifetime quilt. But I do love the tiny ones too so maybe multiple sizes would be used.

Pretty simple quilt but lots to think about as I consider how I might make this my Next Lifetime Quilt.

Thoughts, quilt friends?

Let's quilt,

Barbara

8 comments:

  1. I love the smaller 9-patches but would consider putting them on the other side(s) also or perhaps all together in the center medallion-like with the larger 9-patches surrounding them. However you decide to go, it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me I used to belong to a 3inch9patch swap and still have many 9 patches to do something with!! oh great...another project LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that what you call a utility quilt? Use what you have? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joy to peruse the fabrics in this top. I would have a hard time replicating it exactly, too, but I think I would want to work in some small 9-patches somehow, in homage to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is definitely some odd piecing in this one! But the fabrics are great :). One 'background' vs variety of shirtings - I've been looking at plenty of little Lemoyne stars done with scrap fabrics and some people are using one background and others the variety of shirtings. It's just a totally different look and they are both lovely :) With the one background, the stars pop which is very nice, but since you'd be doing a 9-patch, which is not a tight little 'motif', the scrappier, more harmonious looking variety of shirtings may be nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alternating light and dark corner square 9 patches would be good and you could work out an alternate pressing regime for each so the blocks would match.Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely have to do that--pressing is one of the things I plan carefully. This is still in the running...

      Delete
  7. Have you seen Heartspun Quilt's Circa 1880 Nine Patch Quilt? It was designed for using tons of different fabrics. https://heartspunquilts.blogspot.com/2018/11/much-to-be-grateful-for.html . It looks very nice - I love that it is an uneven 9-patch and how they are on point.

    ReplyDelete