Sunday, March 10, 2019

My Next Lifetime?

As my first Lifetime quilt is heading toward completion, I find myself thinking "What's Next?" A new Leader/Ender quilt has to be decided upon...

Here is one I am considering. It is an antique top I bought in 2014 from Cindy Diller Rennels. She is an antique quilt dealer I have gotten to know and buy from at the big shows. This one came from Paducah, April 2014.


When I bought it, I thought it was a Shoo-Fly block but upon closer examination, it is an X-block block with alternate white blocks between. Here are some detail shots:



This beautiful bright blue print is a Centennial print, with 1776 and 1876 printed on it along with many states' names. So the top is no older than 1876--I think it is somewhat newer than that--I will have to study it again closely to try to find the "newest" print:



Not the best Leader/Ender project as I will have to pre-assemble fabric groups if I want to create blocks with the same fabrics in each, and pre-cut a bunch of the white background. But it is certainly a contender.

What say you, quilt world friends? Would you make it as close to this as possible or use different background prints? Do you find it appealing?

In the next few posts I'll present a few others for consideration.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

8 comments:

  1. I really celebrate the design as is, but here we are in 2019 and knowing your skills and designer's eye, I would perhaps take it to 1) another red and white or blue and white with ALL different prints (hundreds - ask your readers to contribute small bits) or 2)go scrappy like this quilt, but spice up those setting blocks and either do a 'blender" of soft neutrals in a diagoinal stripes set or use a bolder colour palette in the setting blocks and do black in each centre of the X's to make the blocks POP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this scrappy look and love the idea of adding fabrics from the fabrics you are using in other quilts. Then upon assembly, you could arrange them in a trip around the world setting of the colors or rainbow them. You would have lots of setting potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that idea. "Planned Scrappy" , my favorite kind.

      Delete
    2. Me too :) I just re-read 'The Scrap Look' by Jinny Beyer and am ready to tackle a 'Planned Scrappy' quilt myself.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely find it appealing! Any way you choose to make it, it will be stunning, but I do like the scrappy original with the one constant background.

    ReplyDelete