Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Keeping Busy at Home

In this unusual time, when we are being asked to stay at home to "flatten the curve", I try to keep things as normal as possible.

As a quilter, I make quilts--that is who I am and what I do. The Patriotic Pineapple is almost done--one more row and this half is done and can be sewn to the other half:


My usual routine, that continues:

1. Be at work in my Studio from 9-4 most days
2. Lunch break about noon
3. Elliptical exercise after lunch, shower, fresh clothes
4. Cook the standard meals, nothing fancy
5. Keep a running list of groceries needed, hubby does the shopping
6. Turn off the TV at 9 a.m., keep it off until 5 p.m.

What I am doing that is not the "norm":

1. Staying home, since March 15 when I returned from Retreat.
2. Only going in the yard to snap Spring photos--pollen makes me cough and that is just not what we want to do right now.
3. Not spending time booking airfare and  hotels, preparing Supply Lists, and class samples--3 jobs have been canceled for April and May, waiting to see what happens with two trips in July and two August.
4. Calling one friend each day just to talk--we are usually too busy. No excuse right now.
5. Spending too much time on Facebook--working to cut that back. There are quilts to make and pretty much everyone is saying the same things.
6. Finding it hard to remember what day of the week it is--lots of folks seem to have that problem right now.
7. Missing my Littles--they only live 30 minutes away but we are all "sheltering in place" so won't get to hug them for a while yet--we do FaceTime most days:

Sam and Stella on St. Patrick's Day
Back to  quilting. I am trying the Starch Method with leftover Yarra Valley fabrics to make more Double 9 Patch blocks, even though my Sample quilt was completed last year and my smaller Demo quilt was completed last month.

Pros of Starching Fabric:

The precision on small blocks is better. These have .75" finished squares and the 9 patches are 2.25" finished. When I used a few strips that were not starched along with starched ones I could see a difference--the firmness of the starched fabric kept things in place while sewing.

Cons: 

It takes time to apply the starch and let it dry, overnight is recommended. When I want to sew, I want to sew NOW so waiting is not in my nature. I have been spraying the fabrics for the next round while sewing the current round and pressing them dry if needed. Do not press while still wet--this will dry the starch into flakes--not what you want.

The quilt will need to be washed when completely done, quilted and bound. Starch is made from corn and bugs can be an issue with starch that remains on fabric. I usually wash quilts when done, but not always.

Since I wanted to do something with these little 9 Patches, they have become my current Leader/Ender project--when I run out of starched strips, I'll stop making them and that will determine how big this little quilt will be:


Quilters are probably better able to fill their time, being at home for so long, than many people. I feel for parents of young kids who have to work from home, like my son and daughter-in-law. My concerns are for all those who still have to leave their homes: healthcare workers, grocery folks, restaurants trying to stay afloat. And for all those fearful of financial worries.

And for my brother-in-law who had a stroke March 14. March 19 all hospitals in Alabama went under a No Visitors Order so his wife and kids cannot see him at all. They live an hour away and can only get updates by phone with the nurses. Today he continues to breathe without assistance, so that is good news. 

Stay calm, make quilts, wash your hands. This will pass and we'll all be back together soon, I hope.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

2 comments:

  1. The pineapple quilt really calls to me!
    I enjoyed reading how you are coping. I have pretty much always been very comfortable staying home with my sewing, baking, reading, taking walks along our country road, caring for my almost 50 houseplants, playing my violin. But Mom's needs currently keep me from just staying home most days. I keep sanitizing wipes with me and try to avoid any unnecessary contacts to prevent taking anything to her. Just wanting people to be careful to allow everyone to be protected as much as possible. And I am with you on missing the hugs from the little ones!
    Oh, I hope your BIL will recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. Take care of yourself and Mom. These are trying times but we will get through together.

      Delete