Sunday, March 29, 2020

Patriotic Pineapple Quilt

After 10 years, this red, white and blue Patriotic Pineapple quilt is done. I think. Maybe...


Border or No Border? What say you, Internet people? I got lots of suggestions from Facebook and Instagram--you will see below what I decided...

The particulars:

8" blocks
1" finished "logs"
2" finished red centers
set 8 x 10 blocks: 64" x 80" as is

I intend it to be a large throw size, not a queen-size bed quilt. As a throw, it is fine as is. For a Double bed, I could add a border, 4" all around. That would make it 72" x 88". But, who has a double bed?

Double bed batting I have on hand and plan to use is 72" x 93"--that wouldn't really work, it would be a bit too narrow for the quilt with 4" borders.  A 3" border would be 70" x 86"--that would be tight but I can make it work, I think.

I will quilt it on my Bernina Q20 sit down longarm. If I baste it carefully, the 3" border would work. But does it NEED a border?

The book that started this whole project was published in 2010, Trash to Treasure  by Gyleen Fitzgerald. I bought her Trash2Treasure ruler too, and made about half the blocks with it:


When I finally got back to this, about 6 month ago, I began using the Creative Grids Pineapple Trim Tool Ruler, since most of the students I would be teaching would have this one:

Both rulers work fine. I found the Creative Grids ruler to be my favorite because of the grip-stuff on the back of CG rulers. Once you figure out the instructions, of course. One of the best things about Creative Grid rulers is the instructions for each ruler is on their website--helpful if you lose the pamphlet that came with the ruler. And they often have videos there to show exactly how to use some of the specialty rulers.

In January I wrote about Quilts I Should Finish This Year. This was #1. So, I am either finished or close to it--you decide.

Next up, $795, begun many years ago, 2006, I believe:
Geese 1.375" x .6875"--Paper Pieced.



There are little projects that will be fit in between this one but it will also be finished this year.

Are there long-term projects you are working on and plan to finish?

As for the Patriotic Pineapple? My husband suggested blue so blue borders it is, from four different blues, cut 3". Finished size is 70" x 85":



Let's quilt.

Barbara

9 comments:

  1. I love your Patriotic Pineapple quilt. I bought Gyleen's ruler when she visited our guild about a year or so ago. Haven't even broken the cellophane seal on it .... yet! I have a couple of quilts that I just have to finish this year too. Mostly they include the quilting. Which brings to mind, how do you like the Bernina Q20? I don't have room for a big longarm and have periodically looked at the Q20. I would certainly value your opinion -- the good and the bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my Q20. Put BERNINA Q20 in the Search box of this blog, upper left side, and every post I have written about it will appear

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt and I love the border! I always feel the need to "frame" a quilt with a border but I have left a few frameless. :). As always you have inspired me to add another quilt to my to-do list! Miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too. Know you are loving that baby right now. We haven’t seen our Littles since early March except for FaceTime.

      Delete
  3. Always listen to hubby. Great choice and beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was going to say no border because I firmly believe that not every quilt needs one when there are great blocks. But when I saw the blue, I changed my mind! Regardless of which way you go, it’s a beautiful quilt. We have a double bed and I definitely make my quilts bigger than 72 X 88! At least 78 X 90 in order to have a good drape over the sides - and cover the bodies who sleep in the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Patriotic Pineapple looks great. Blue was my first choice for a border. ��
    I love Yiu $795 quilt. If you are ever looking for a home for it, I can make room. Just sayn’. ��
    I’m working on a quilt made from paper pieced 2” finished saw tooth stars. I have lots of ‘smalls’ and charity quilts that take my attention away from the star quilt. If feels, like one of those projects that will never end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pineapple quilt is lovely!! Love it with the blue border, or without.
    The flying geese blocks are simple but effective! Not much sewing going on here. I want to be quarantined!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two stunning quilts from classic blocks! Such beautiful work, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete