Saturday, March 21, 2020

Starch Fabric for Precision

Over the years I have known people who like to use liquid starch to add firmness to their fabrics--they swear they get better precision because of it.

Many people working on Afternoon Delight struggle with precision on those tiny 3/4" finished squares.


At my recent Joyful Journey retreat, I was thrilled when my friend Margo Clabo decided to come. We have been friends since 2007, meeting on the Forum of The Quilt Show . We live only 4 hours apart, but we only see each other occasionally at International Quilt Festival Houston, and only for a few minutes then.

Margo fit right in at Retreat and when I saw her super-precise pieced Afternoon Delight blocks, I asked her to discuss her starch method with the group. She agreed and now we want to share her process with you.

First, you need liquid starch, Sta-Flo is a great brand. Find it in the laundry aisle, up high or down low, not at eye-level:

All you need is water and starch and a spray bottle. There are lots of recipes out there, some with vodka or distilled water. I just used tap water and Sta-Flo, in a 50/50 solution. According to the label, that is a "heavy" starch solution and that is just how Margo likes it.


Margo says "I “chunky cut” my fabrics (Sue’s instructions call for 8”x10” for these double nine patch blocks) then lay them out flat on an old beach towel. I use a 50-50 mixture of water and Sta-Flo liquid starch in a spray bottle to saturate the fabrics and leave them overnight to dry. I steam them for a crisp fabric that makes cutting and piecing a lot more accurate."

So I am trying it:

If it had not been raining, I would have sprayed on my back deck--a bit of overspray on my hardwood floors made a sticky spot--careful! Now they have to dry overnight.

You want to be sure they are bone dry before cutting. Then use steam, either with water in the iron or a spray bottle, to crisp them. Then cut those narrow strips, 1.25" wide for Afternoon Delight.

Margo continues:  " I still use Barbara’s recommendations to carefully measure each step of the way. The smaller the pieces, the more important it is to be accurate!"

Her blocks are so precise, and the fabric is not stiff like cardboard but is definitely firmer than you get from spray starch or sizing or Best Press or any other product.

You can't argue with her success, so if you are struggling with these small blocks, try it, you might like it.

Another tool the Sunday Sew & Sews have, and so does Margo now that I gave her a set, are these wonderful Templates:


Cindy B, one of the Sunday Sew & Sews came up with this idea and ordered them as gifts for each of us. She was very pleased with the company, they understood what she wanted and asked Cindy to send her a drawing for them to duplicate. Fast service too. TCR Engraving & Graphics, Terri@tcrengraving.com


BIG UPDATE: the company started receiving orders right away so have listed the set on their website, ships free in the US. They are a small family owned business and said they VERY MUCH APPRECIATE the boost to their business:

Double 9 Patch and Shoo Fly Template Set

At Retreat, Margo became a believer, see how little she shaved off her blocks for perfection. Using a small cutting mat makes it easy to turn the block/template for trimming:


Margo also likes to press her seam allowances with those twirly intersections:


Remember to read my tips for these blocks--or ANY small, precisely pieced blocks: Double 9 Patch Blocks   

I hope these tips will help those working on Afternoon Delight. But remember, precision piecing is important whether the blocks are 2.25" finished as these 9 patches are, or 12" finished.

Let's quilt.

Barbara



16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Barbara. I hope folks find these tips helpful. It is a little more time consuming, but I think the results are worth it. (Virtual) Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Folks should try it to see if it helps. Hope I got the steps right. My fabric dried overnight so I am playing with them today.

      Delete
    2. Did you wash the fabrics before starching them?

      Delete
    3. These were washed first but I don’t usually pre-wash.

      Delete
  2. Great tips! Next time I get to the store I will look for some Sta Flo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for great teaching and tips. Sta Flo is now on my list,

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great posting Barb....thanks. I use sizing spray but am interested in trying this solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I am not making this quilt, you share some great tips here for creating any small blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely try this. I would not even try Afternoon Delight if it wasn't for your timely and helpful hints....and I've been quilting since 1976! I have spray starch on hand but not the liquid. After an early morning trip to my closest WalMart (45 minutes away) where way too many shelves were empty I'm not anxious to return any time soon! But I will look for the Sta-Flo next time I'm out. Headed now to check out those templates! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for these tips. Will try this. Also plan to order the templates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to try searching my fabric. Another thing I have found useful when piecing small blocks is putting down a piece of flannel when I press which helps alleviate distortion

    ReplyDelete
  9. Using the non-aerosol spray starch has helped me, but now I want to try using Sta-Flo after reading your post. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete