Sunday, May 24, 2020

The Latest New Quilt Project

While doing "secret sewing" I can't show you, I am making another quilt at the same time:


This is not the final design placement and there are many more blocks to go, but you get the idea.

The corner triangles are being sewn on as "leader/enders" while making the secret quilt. Easy and it gives me a sense of accomplishment as each star goes from 6" to 9" finished and finds a place on the design wall.

At the first Joyful Journey Retreat, one of the women was working on an old project she was eager to get finished. I really liked it and thought I would want to make one like it someday:

All of April's Sawtooth Star points are the same light off-white fabric and the centers and backgrounds are different fabrics. The sashing and cornerstones tie it all together. I like the wide variety of fabrics very much, especially in the outside perimeter triangles. But when would I have time to start yet another quilt from scratch?

While laying in bed, when I should have been sleeping, I remembered I had 40 6" Sawtooth Star blocks I received in a swap, from Barb Vedder's blog: Oh, My Stars Swap  Perfect!

I "did the math" and decided to cut 80 squares, 6" each, to provide the 160 triangles needed to surround each star. Rather than dig out 80 fabrics, my original plan, I quickly decided to cut 2 each from 40 fabrics, in a wide variety of colors.

Once the four triangles were sewn on the four sides of the star, I pressed them firmly and trimmed the block to 9.5" square. This allows the stars to "float" just a bit. To float them even more, I could have cut those squares larger, say 6.5", 7" or even 7.5". That would make the stars larger. 

Once all the stars are surrounded with triangles and trimmed to 9.5",  I will decide what sashing and cornerstones I want to use. This makes for a larger quilt and gives each star room to shine.

Swaps are notoriously challenging--I have participated in many over the years. Even though Barb's instructions were clear and spot-on, not all of the blocks I received followed those instructions. A few had bias on the background triangles instead of straight-of-grain, and the requirement to use "quilt shop quality muslin" wasn't always followed.

Adding your own fabrics to blocks received in swaps is a good way to control the quality and fix block sizes that are not exactly perfect.

I once participated in a swap of Dear Jane blocks done in Halloween fabrics--fun! It was a big swap with people from several countries and many US states. The person who coordinated it was up-front from the beginning. As she received your blocks, they would be sorted into 5 "quality levels"--A, B, C, D, and E. If you sent in A blocks, you got A blocks in return. If you sent D blocks, that's what you got in return. I can only imagine what any E blocks looked like! I tried hard to be sure I sent in A's.

Here is a poor photo of what I did with those Dear Jane blocks. I gave the quilt away and now cannot find any other photo of it:


My recommendation if you want to create a swap: choose the participants wisely, be sure all agree to follow whatever the rules are, and be sure everyone understands the rules. Also set a time requirement that allows adequate time but not too much time--most will do their blocks right at the deadline.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

7 comments:

  1. great setting for the star swap blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about swaps. You really need to go into the swap with the attitude that it is more about the social aspect and not receiving perfect blocks. Years ago, I participated in a charm square exchange (just plain fabric) and some people were not even accurate in cutting a particular sized square. The fabric is still usable and some have already been used. But if I would have gone into the exchange thinking I was getting equal quality and size of squares in return, I would have been so disappointed. Instead, I chose to enjoy the great variety of prints. As with most of life, it's our attitude and how we react.

    Your stars are looking lovely :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The primary reason for a swap for me is the wide variety of fabrics received. Quality is still an issue. My stars are a good variety of reproduction fabrics, most I didn’t have, so I like them for that.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy what you are working on, and appreciated the reminder about "floating" the blocks, that kind of reminder helps when one is trying to "make lemonade" out of the bunch of lemons you were gifted with, or the products of a challenging "sheltering in place". Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your stars are coming along and love your model. You are so right about swaps. I was in a swap a long time ago where our coordinator was selective about who she asked to participate. The 12 blocks we were supposed to make were to be exactly red, white, and blue with specific instructions to follow those colors rigidly. We all agreed. After submitting our blocks to our leader, she divvied them up. Of course one party chose tan (not even off-white) for the white. Man, does that block stand out in the midst. Oh well, we were all friends and are still. I've got another story but will save it for another day. Love Block Swaps but have come to realize also they are more about friendship. Love the A, B, C, D, E concept!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this is looking. I'm not a piecer as you probably know, but I still greatly enjoy seeing your work. I can't figure how to work out swaps and other similar projects with art quilting and applique. LOL

    ReplyDelete