Sunday, May 17, 2020

Announcement, Announcement, Announcment!

Guess what? There will be a Special Exhibit of my life's work at International Quilt Festival Houston this Fall, October 2020.

International Quilt Festival Houston--George R Brown Convention Center

To say I am "over the moon" is putting it mildly. The Exhibit is entitled "My Joyful Journey" and will feature quite a few of my quilts from the mid-1980's when I was a "baby quilter" to my current work, and a few award-winning quilts.

I consider this my "Lifetime Achievement Award"--to present my progression as a mostly traditional quiltmaker, from the early days when they were "less than lovely" to where I find myself today.

My first International Quilt Market was 1996, when I attended as  the "buyer" for my local quilt shop, Patches & Stitches. I have attended every Fall Market since and every Festival since 1999, when I began working for the Education Department of Quilts Inc. There is much about that experience that I love, I have written about it many times, but this, oh, this is really a special dream come true.

This collage was assembled by Quilts Inc. and represents just a quick look at the past. So much has changed with quilting and yet much has remained the same--our passion for playing with fabric and thread to create a vision as well as make useful objects. I especially like that it features 1996, the first year I stepped into the George R Brown Convention Center, when it was somewhat smaller than it is today:



Yes, I know this is a weird year. And, yes, I know many people might not come to Houston this year. But as long as there is a Festival, and that is most definitely the plan today, my quilts will be there and I will get to see them hanging as a collection. Pretty cool....

In the  next few weeks I will know which quilts are included. Some of these:

Maybe some from my "Artsy Period", like this one:

Maybe one of my favorites, like this one I worked on for 7 years:


They have a lot to choose from so I will be very interested to see which quilts are selected to represent my work and make an interesting Special Exhibit for attendees to enjoy.

I hope you will make it to Festival this year--a show that only needs to go by one name: "Houston". A place I feel at home, a place filled with people I love and admire, a place I am so honored to be able to share my work.  Make your plans and I'll see you in Houston!

Let's quilt.

Barbara

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations Barbara! This is a great honor and I’m so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting! You deserve it. You care so much about every quilter and you work so hard at Festival plus your quilts are amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful news! Congratulations and very best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOO-HOO! Congratulations Barbara!! ������

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! So excited and happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Barbara! What a well-deserved honor! I haven't been to Houston--yet--but I'd love to make 2020 my first time and see your exhibit!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such awesome news! You are so so deserving of this honor. Congratulations Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very exciting! Congratulations Barbara!! I'm hoping to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you Barbara! Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! An honor well deserved, as both you and your work are an inspiration to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well congratulations to you Barbara!! What an incredible honor! Can’t wait to see them all on display.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! A well-deserved accolade for a dedicated artist!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is exciting and you are so right this show is known as Houston. Happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you! I live in the Houston area. I hope I get to go see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Barbara! How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such wonderful, awesome news. Congratulations - what an unbelievable achievement which you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  17. congratulations what a big honor. I am slated to go this year, but my plans are on hold right now.
    I can't wait to see all the quits on display.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your collection and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous way to let you know how much you've done for and meant to the quilting world. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW--kudos to you, Barbara! That is a well-deserved honor. I am thrilled to think I have a little quilt made by you in my home. :)

    ReplyDelete