Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Wednesday Already?

The week got away from me.

Lots of secret sewing and parts of the Sawtooh Star project:


Running out of design wall space to properly lay out the Sawtooth Stars--there will be 50 of these blocks, 6" stars set on point are now 9" blocks. There will be 2" sashing between:


I made a few more masks for my sons and their women. Looks like we'll be wearing masks for some time so I will make more for all of us soon. The women both love their "Wonder Woman" mask:



I will get to see my eldest son and his girlfriend this weekend as we gather for a "birthday girls" celebration--Stella and I have birthdays one day apart. We will meet at Lauren and Andy's house--the first time we've all been together since Christmas. Stella will be 5 and Sam is 21 months--how fast they are growing!

While together, I will give Joshua and Cait quick sewing lessons on how to use their new machine. I was able to get my friend, Janet's 1958 Singer 401A Slant-O-Matic machine--she received it as a wedding gift that year. A few new parts were bought and my husband cleaned it up very well, oil and lubrication, and it sews a beautiful stitch:


Joshua recently asked me if buying a $100 brand new sewing machine online was a "good deal". I said "NO!" They would be far better off finding an older heavy-duty solid machine. We started looking on Facebook Marketplace, CraigsList, etc. Those offered for sale usually were not guaranteed to work, as the sellers often said things like "My grandmother's machine, I have no idea if it works". And parts were often missing. So when I found out Janet had this one, I jumped on it.

I've put together a basic sewing kit, scissors, thread, rulers, some fabric, etc., so Joshua and Cait can play with the machine as they learn how it works:


Too bad they live two hours away. But it will be so good to see everyone.

Now it's back to that secret sewing for me.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. Wednesday already because it is a short "work" week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have some fun things coming up. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean by old machines. I have a Kenmore 1941 that I bought brand new and it is a work horse. Has never been in the shop. I wish I could find it a good home but in the mean time I still use it!!

    ReplyDelete