Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Cat Is Out of the Bag

The other day Alex Anderson told the world I am making the 2021 Block of the Month quilt for The Quilt Show. Yes, that is the "Secret Sewing" I have been working for a while now.

The designer is the amazing Wendy Williams. She lives in Australia so will not be able to come to the US next month for the taping of the show that will present the quilt to the world. The show will air January 1, 2021, but I will be in Dallas taping it August 21, 2020--less than 4 weeks from now.

Check out the wonderful designs Wendy has made--her patterns are for sale on her website:  Flying Fish Kits   The quilt we will be making as the 2021 TQS Block of the Month is NOT one of those patterns. Wendy has designed an exclusive quilt pattern just for TQS members and it will ONLY be available on www.thequiltshow.com beginning January 1, 2021 and running until December 31, 2021.

Over the Hill by Wendy Williams
Round the Garden by Wendy Williams

My Place or Yours by Wendy Williams
These are just teasers of the kind of patterns Wendy designs and the bright colors she likes to use. The look is fresh and vibrant and exciting.

The Australian look is different from what I usually gravitate to but I LOVE this quilt and am having a lot of FUN making it. I learned a new-to-me-technique, paper piecing with Freezer Paper, that I am eager to share with you.The quilting is in the home stretch and I am enjoying that process too.

No, I still can't show you the quilt--be patient another month or two, but here is a teaser:

Just some of the threads I am quilting with--this is the back of the quilt
As usual, I have several projects going. at the same time. This week I finished the top for a new workshop I am calling "It's a Puzzle", based on an antique quilt that looks much more complicated than it is. It is now basted and I am thinking about quilting designs as I do other things:

The other project that will become a new workshop is still under construction--being used as a Leader/Ender project at the moment. Also based on an antique block, I call this "Cobblestones". I designed it in EQ8 in a variety of sizes. 12" was too big, 8" and 7" had weird sizes for the pieces, 6" is more workable, so it will be a smaller quilt, like a crib or toddler size:

Back to the quilting of the 2021 Block of the Month--so glad I can talk about it, just a bit.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

12 comments:

  1. Ok, so NOW I’ll join. I just finished Wendy’s 50 shades of Gray and it is just stunning. I’ll look forward to joining in on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the big reveal! Love her patterns and I’m sure this one will be great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Barbara ... cannot WAIT for a reveal!! So, you gonna do a weekly or monthly stitch-in for this one?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there will be a monthly lecture/demo class locally somewhere

      Delete
  4. Whatever it looks like, we have an awesome instructor to guide us through! Love TQS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very excited to see the quilt. I had a sneaky suspicion.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is VERY exciting news. I LOVE Wendy Williams work. I wonder if I discovered her blog by reading your blog? Anyway a TQS BOM with the two of you--I will eagerly await! Very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What exciting news! Her designs are really a feast for the eyes--I look forward to seeing the one you are making.
    I really like both of your shared projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete