Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Utility Sewing

I have been sewing by machine since I was 10. Garments, accessories, doll clothes, and lots and lots of quilts over these many years. Now I have to sew something I don't like making.

Masks. Ugh. I do not like making masks. But it is necessary, so I do it. There are thousands of patterns on the Internet. I combined a few, along with some suggestions from friends, so mow I have a workable process that doesn't take too long.

Stella, my 5 year old granddaughter, will be going to Kindergarten in a few weeks and masks are required. The couple I made her some weeks ago were too big. She came for a sleepover yesterday so I had her here for "custom fitting".

Here she is in her "Wonder Woman" mask--one I retro-fitted since the original was too wide and too loose. She says she isn't smiling but how can you tell?


The rest of the batch. In the lower right is a Mary Engelbright print that says "Princess of Quite A Lot".  The loops are made from hair ties I cut in half--saw that on some post on Facebook or Instagram so gave it a try. It works. Nine should keep her covered for a while:



When I was a little girl, I LOVED to play with old buttons we had in cigar boxes and cookie tins. I have saved them all these years and yesterday encouraged Stella to play with them. The two small tins once held bouillon cubes and the sticker on top of one says $.19. They were hard to open, so PopPop took care of that--filled with tiny buttons.

She sorted and poured and played and said "BB, look at this one!", lots of times. It kept her occupied while I worked on the masks and made my heart happy:



What happens when Daddy packs the overnight bag and there is nothing that looks like pajamas. BB finds the smallest T-shirt in her drawer for a nightshirt:

What I want to be sewing and will finish assembling today. A new class sample called "It's a Puzzle":


What are you working on? Making masks?  My secret sewing needs to get done--the quilting is about half done so that moves up the priority list. I will be making a trip with it in 4 weeks and was just told masks will be required for everyone, all day, every day. So a few more masks, in my most favorite fabrics, still need to be made.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

16 comments:

  1. I spent the last two days with face mask and they are ready for the mail now - soon it will be more for some children that will be going back to school - I think my quilting will slow down for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been making so many masks for back to school and work! I am tired of mask making too, but keep reminding myself that hopefully I am helping keep someone I love safe! I have played with my new Q20 with some small practice pieces but itching to do something larger. I have a baby quilt ready to quilt, so after July 31 that's where I will be. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some family members gearing up for going back to school, so I am back to making masks for a few days. My next project will be to quilt my son's quilt to take to college. Nothing fancy but a little bit of Momma to be there with him. He has no idea it is in the works! I will be quilting it on my domestic. Wish me luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday I taught a 9 year old and her mother how to make the masks she and her sister will have to wear in school. She did a good job, but it makes me sad. 😞

    ReplyDelete

  6. Being a retired teacher, my heart goes out to the teachers, students and parents. This will be a school year like no other. I pray for their safety and ability to adapt. I too have fond memories of playing with buttons as a child. I always kept a metal tin of buttons in my classroom. Such a soothing activity. Here is one of my favorite books to share with kindergarten/first grade students... https://youtu.be/APY-JJ_6TPs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Stella is five? Where did that time go??
    Looks like she is a cutie and she will be well-outfitted with masks for school.
    Creative solution for the missing pjs.
    I am attaching a binding today and then more masks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five is the new 12! She is so smart and funny and we so enjoy spending time with her. Schools just announced this morning--only Virtual Learning until the virus gets much more under control. So sad for one so eager to learn. And Mom and Dad have to figure out how to teach and work all at the same time.

      Delete
  8. Bless you for making the beautiful masks! I'm also sick of making them, then a family member asks for more and I mail them off. I was lucky to get 1/8 inch elastic which I like to use, but I recently saw a post suggesting loops used in making potholders! I have lots of the cotton ones I had bought for my class and they're prefect for the kids! Love your puzzle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a good idea--potholder loops. I'll have to look for cotton ones--maybe Hobby Lobby?

      Delete
  9. Be sure and give her those buttons at some point. My mom had buttons in this silky type bag when I was a kid. I loved playing with them. When I was in college I asked my mom about that bag of buttons. She had given them to the goodwill. I was so upset. Now in my 70’s and I still think of that bag of buttons. At least ask her someday if she would like them. My mom never gave me that option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, NO! I gasped when you said "goodwill". Yes, these will be kept for future generations.

      Delete
  10. I completely understand about how you feel about making masks. I feel the same way. I have not posted much on Instagram, but this was my post toward the end of daily mask making: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-2nKEXn0fp/. Hazel Hall's poem spoke of my feelings at the time. I don't want to sew masks, but on the other hand, how can I say 'no' in good conscience so I sorrowfully sew on....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been making masks too. I've made masks for firefighters, masks for a friend who is a doctor, masks for fellow teachers-- I'm waiting for some Spoonflower fabric with Boston Terriers on it for my assistant principal. I've also modified the pattern several times. Smaller for my grandson, who wants ones with cars on it like Grandpa. I even took the teenage grandson to the quilt shop to pick out his own material because I know that way he'll be more likely to wear them. He chose some with fish on it, and some gray marble fabric. He also wants U of Alabama fabric-- which is almost impossible to find in Florida or online. Mine have chocolate bars, llamas, astronauts and musical notes. Finding flannel was a struggle too, but a friend traded me 3 bolts she had in her stash for some masks and some other sewing. And I found some in my own stash. So I'm working with that. The firefighters say they like my masks because the flannel is softer. I've been sewing masks on weekdays and on weekends I take the time to work on my BOM and my row by row quilts. They make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call Patches&Stitches 256-533-3886 for University of AL fabric. They almost always have it and will be delighted to ship you some. My local quilt shop where I have taught for 30+ years

      Delete
  12. I custom made some masks for my girls ... the straight across kind were getting in their eyes (which meant they were constantly touching them), especially Edith's (the baby). And buttons! Yes, we enjoyed a morning of button play recently, too! The girls made button families! Such sweet, simple fun! :)

    ReplyDelete