Wednesday, October 28, 2020

How Many PINS?

 How many PINS does one quilter need? Recently, I've been sorting through all the THINGS in my studio, the "out of sight, out of mind" stuff. And I found a LOT of pins. These are the ones I'm keeping. because, you know, I might NEED them someday:


And Pins need Pin  CUSHIONS. The terrific longarm quilter, Kelly Cline, makes these beautiful pin cushions and sells them. Usually, she would post a bunch of them on her Shopping Site, then tell everyone on Facebook about them and by the time I saw them, they were all gone. Last week I lucked out and saw her post that a few things had just been added to the Shop. I jumped on it immediately and got this beauty:


I love the heft of it--filled with crushed walnut shells. Beautifully  made, almost too pretty to use, but Kelly says they are meant to be used, so do! 

My husband was on a tear the other day to clean up the garage. While going through an old box of things I got from his mother's house, after she passed, I found these. The table scarf s folded so it would all fit in the photo--lots of fabric for making pin cushions myself. I have a book with instructions, so...:


I might already have a few pin cushions--most have been made for me as gifts. The purple chicken on the left is my primary one at my sewing machine---I bought a bunch of these years ago as gifts. The chicken on the right I made and had trouble with the directions. Poor chicken has her tail in the front, not the back:


All this led me to think about my favorite tools, those I use all the time and wouldn't want to be without. Like these. Heidi Profetty Tweezers, Appliquik Tweezers, Clover Stitch Ripper (I have several of these),  Fiskars Thread Snips, a Stiletto from By Annie. They sit at my machine and get lots of use, daily. 
The green thing came from the automotive section of a big box store--it's a telescoping magnet used for picking up screws that fall under the car while the car is being serviced. How often do you drop pins? I do it all the time. This tool is so great for finding them--it stretches out to at least 3 feet. I have found pins and needles in my comfy chair, where I do my hand sewing, and on the floor where I just couldn't see them. I love it! And it cost less than $5.00.

For hand sewing,  I am enjoying using Quilters Select 80 weight thread. It is great for applique, and sewing down bindings. It is fine and strong and just disappears for those applications:

There is a trick to using fine thread for hand sewing successfully. Tie a tiny knot that secures the thread to the eye of the needle. This works great for silk thread, and this 80 wt. and any other fine thread you may want to use for hand sewing. Hard to describe in words, maybe this video will help explain it:


In going through all the storage spaces in my studio I did find things to part with. A few folks have been over for small make-up classes and they have bought a few things or gotten goodies from the "Free to a good home" box: 

Books
  
Assorted Notions
Every few years I do a big sale here in my studio that is well attended and people look forward to it. This is not the time to invite 250 people into my house so the closet doors will remain closed for now. I expect the Sunday Sew and Sews will want some of this stuff at our next gathering. Then this stuff will go into a box in deep storage until a real sale can be held. 

I bet you have lots of stuff too. Many people are using this time at home to clear out excess stuff. Mostly, I am sewing. More of that to show next time.

Let's quilt.

Barbara


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out and love that sweet pincushion! Glad you were able to grab it! 😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put each type of pin in a different pin cushion. I am lucky that a retreat I go to each year they give us a small pin cushion with the main "block" of featured quilt! Thanks Barb and Barb!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to check out that automotive dept. and get a magnet on telescoping stick! Yes, I need to make some decisions about my excess quilt books as well and see if anyone wants to rehome them to their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When using fine thread, here's how I make a knot. Double the thread, leaving a 5-6" tail. Thread both threads of the hoop through the eye of the needle. Pull the hoop through the eye partway and then thread the needle through the hoop and pull to tighten the thread against the eye of the needle.

    ReplyDelete