Sunday, October 11, 2020

Decision Made

 Working on Western Sun, a pattern of an antique quilt that I have always loved, I was torn between staying true to the original design layout or using a cheddar cornerstone between the rows of Flying Geese sashing. I wrote about this recently here, and here.

A few people liked the cheddar cornerstone, and no one spoke in defense of the original so I went with the cheddar. Eager to get started sewing the top together, I first worked on a color layout design once all 25 of the full blocks were done.

To be able to see them all, I just put them on the design wall without space for the sashing. After snapping a photo to refer to, I was good to go. 


I made one corner block, a quarter block, for the upper left corner and made a few half blocks for the perimeter triangles so I could start. Let the assembly begin:


Scrap quilts are my favorite kind and I  have made many over the years. First, I pull fabrics for a "palette", then start cutting the required size pieces I need. As I worked on this, I knew I would need to cut more fabrics, but how much more?  Once I got this far, I could easily see and count blocks that were left to make and figure out how much to cut. 

Here is what is cut and on hand currently:

So, I "did the math" and about all I need to cut is the parts for the Flying Geese sashings. I need to cut 183 "geese", from 46 squares--they are Quarter Square Triangles. Then I need to cut 333 pairs of "wings" from squares--that's a lot of cutting. But I am happily using up some favorite fabrics that have lived here way too long. 

Using Electric Quilt 8 (EQ8) helps me so much when playing around with quilt design. The book this pattern is in, Butternut and Blue by Barbara Brackman and Karla Menaugh, has the quilt at 45" square, with only 5 full blocks. Mine is 110" square, if I add the border I think I will add, so it's a lot different.

Here is my sketch of the original design in EQ8--the sashing is ALL geese:



And the sketch with the cheddar cornerstones that I ultimately decided to use:


I don't try to match fabrics very carefully in EQ8 with my quilt designs because I use so many different fabrics and adding lots of them to the project file makes it really BIG. I just try to get the feel for what the quilt will look like overall. In this second one, I did work with color placement since all 25 of the full blocks were done and they all  had to go somewhere. 

Back to cutting out fabric and making the remaining 7 half blocks, 3 corner blocks and all those flying geese sashing units. I'll be in the Studio, if you need me...

Let's quilt,

Barbara




12 comments:

  1. Wow, Barbara, that is beautiful. Seeing it on your wall makes the EQ version come alive. LOVE the cheddar cornerstones, and the way you varied the direction of the flying geese. It took me awhile to figure out the secondary design of the cornerstones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is going to be one gorgeous quilt. I just love the movement the flying geese give to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at your past post on this, I thought I did like the way the cheddar squares broke up the FG runs. Now that I see the secondary Square in a Square and Star patterns that form around them in your EQ layput, I'm sure of it! This is going to be big and gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing your vision come to life. Thank you for sharing the process. Can’t wait to see the quilt finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stunning! I think you made the right decision going with the cheddar cornerstones. The geese needed this "contact spacing"...lol...otherwise they look kind of menacing just swarming around the blocks. I think this will be one of the most beautiful quilts I've seen (and I've seen alot as I'm no spring chicken myself). Blessings from a chilly, rainy West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it and cannot wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if you graded the string of cream geese from light to dark? I love what you're doing with these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like most others, I now agree the cheddar stones make a huge difference and the secondary design just tops everything off. I also love the way you have placed the coloured blocks to form another design within the design. A truly lovely quilt in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cornerstones really make the quilt pop & showcase the blocks themselves. Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I think the cheddar cornerstones was a great decision, it really brings a pleasing visual effect to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete