Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Spring Has Sprung!

Non-quilty post--unless you see all the colors that make beautiful quilts too.

Spring is my favorite time of year, especially in my garden. My favorite flowers are in bloom, it's not too hot to walk around and enjoy them, and rains make it a bit easier to weed the beds,

Here are some shots of my yard currently:

Near the pond

Near the pond

Nelly Moser clematis

Bed in front of the pond
Some of the pond

More of the pond


Blackberries come Summer


Bed in front yard

Corner of bed in front yard

Bed in front yard

My MOST favorite iris


Path to the front door


Mexican Heather will bloom in another month


The latest Barn quilt--a surprise

Want Lenten Rose seeds? In another month there will be thousands 

Sadly, my husband cut down the two ornamental cherry trees a month ago. They had a disease for several years that defied treatment and caused the leaves to dry up and drop off in July, looking like dead trees for most of the year. But I do miss this spectacular sight:


Front Yard


Side Yard


And I am too late for the forsythia--this was a month ago. It all started with one small plant given to our son Andy for his baptism in 1981. We have moved cuttings of it to all the homes since then, ours and his. So pretty in early March when Spring is just getting started:


Now, let's quilt.

Barbara





10 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I have some of those dusty purple irises too. Love both barn quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I would love some lenten rose seeds! Your garden is so pretty! Isn't spring the best season?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful yard, Barbara! I have to say that your favorite iris really caught my eye! I have grown iris for over 30 years, and one of my favorite iris memories was a visit to Schreiner's Iris growers near Salem, Oregon during their bloom season many years ago. Ten acres of iris in bloom. What a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cherry trees may be gone but you have great pictures of them at their full bloom for memories...... and that garage is a beauty..... one car with a lot of storage on the sides.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a pretty yard. Lots of inspiration for color ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your "barn" quilt squares. How many designs do you have. A great idea to make them portable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the third my husband surprised me with. The first was red and white and he used that one as the base for this one--he painted over the red/white. I was shocked and somewhat dismayed to learn that. We need to talk about not surprising me anymore.

      Delete
  7. Barbara when do you ever find time to quilt!!! Your yard is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vast majority of the work in the yard is done by my husband. They were laid out more than 20 years ago and I still tell him what to plant, where, but he does the digging, trimming, weeding, and mowing--since he's "retired", have to have jobs to keep him busy.

      Delete