Sunday, August 7, 2022

Stella and BB

 We were fortunate to have granddaughter Stella visit for an overnight recently, before she went back to school as a rising second-grader. She is a delightful child, funny, smart, pleasant almost all of the time, and very eager to try new things. 


After lunch the first day I asked her if she wanted to make a quilt. She jumped from the table and went straight to the studio. I had gotten out a large box of 6" squares I have been saving. I used to cut a 6" square from every fabric I bought and sorted them by light, medium and dark. That box:


Stella declared picking the perfect fabrics was the MOST FUN part of the making a quilt. And she was going to make one for herself and one for her 3 year old brother, Sam. I thought we would be lucky to finish one but kept that thought to myself.

I trimmed the squares to 5.5" since most had the selvedge with writing on it still included. I showed her how to operate the Singer Featherweight that will someday be hers. She could even thread the needle--thank goodness! It didn't take too long for her to get the hang of the best speed and keeping the seam straight, more or less:


She listened to instructions and concentrated hard on each step:

Several times she said "Sewing is FUN!" 

She learned to press the seams to one side and that an iron is hot. 

After an hour and half, her six rows were sewn together. We were both tired and it was time to make dinner, another activity she is good at.  The first day progress:


She told me to "make a video, and send it to Sam". You can see her personality here--she has Spunk! I LOVE spunk:


After breakfast the next morning we had to get to work. I showed her how to sew the rows together, stopping to take out the pins, and trying to stay straight. Before long, her top was done. And she was eager to make Sam's quilt.

Each fabric she selected was because "Sam will love this one". Remember, picking fabrics is her favorite part. She decided his would be smaller, because he is 3 and she is 7. 

Once his fabrics were all selected, she got to work piecing his top. And this time she sewed more straight and really knew how to use the machine.

I gave her a few fabrics to choose from for the backs of both quilts. She spent a few minutes making a careful decision on each quilt. I cut the back and batting for hers while she finished piecing Sam's quilt.  The "pillow method" was required for speed--we were running out of time--stitch all around, leave an opening for turning, turn the quilt right side out and the edge is finished. 

Stella learned to tie double knots with yarn used to secure Sam's quilt top to the back. I started straight line quilting hers while she went out to work in the yard with PopPop. When she came in and saw me quilting hers on the Bernina Q20 she wanted to help. She sat in my lap, I pressed the pedal, and she took off happily making swirls and loops on a practice piece. 

We made it, two quilts completely done in less than 24 hours. I gave her a Sharpie and told her to sign them:

The back of Sam's

The front of Stella's, she signed her favorite square

Then she got to show off her work to PopPop:

Sam's quilt


Stella's quilt

She loved the back fabric she picked for her quilt

We had a grand time. I hope she will want to sew some more when she comes to visit again. Kids Can Sew, just let them try. I didn't fret about perfect seams, some are somewhat crooked. She was being creative, we were spending time together, and that's all that matters.

Let's quilt.

Barbara








9 comments:

  1. It was delightful meeting you in person at Long Beach. Loved this blog post. It brought joy t9 my heart to see her smile as she created! I did order the Bernina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto - you will love your BERNINA!

      Delete
    2. Great to meet you, too Rachel. You will love your Bernina!

      Delete
  2. My heart is smiling from ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I learned to sew from my Gram.....precious time for you I'm sure....and I just wonder why you like "spunk?!" LOL Chip off the block I would say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stella is as adorable as she is creative! What a great weekend for you, PopPop, and her. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Stella exudes personality! What fun! And what a good grandma you are, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Barbara! That just warms my heart! What a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete