Sunday, August 28, 2022

Disappearing Patchwork -- the Quilting

 For the past few months I have been working on a Neutral quilt, made from neutral fabrics: white, tan, gray, in various shades of each. That is descriptive but it's not a great name. So, the official title is Disappearing Patchwork.

About 62" square

Here are details of the machine quilting I did with the Bernina Q20 sit down long arm:







Each of the thirty-two 4.5" squares has a different quilting design--some I got from books, some I came up with. Most were done with a ruler: 
A star: 
Just follow the squiggles in the fabric: 

Square on point with horizontal and vertical lines and a square on point with pumpkin seeds: 



Each of the 2" x 4.5" rectangles have the same half circle curve, done with a circle ruler: 




The pinwheels in the four corners have simple quilting, a square on point with pumpkin seeds:



All the remaining pinwheels have more curved quilting, again using a ruler: 

While it is hard to see, the small 2" squares were used to "travel" from block to block, with a simple loop-di-loop squiggle that got me from one place to another: 




Superior Thread: Omni 40 wt #3008 Sesame Seeds and Bottom Line 60 wt  #653 Beach:

On the brown narrow outer border, I used Quilter's Select 60 wt # 739--it matched perfectly for a very simple loop that took me quickly all around the outside edge:



The back in the sunlight--I love the texture of quilting: 

Disappearing Patchwork is named this because this is a simple 16 block quilt, made from pinwheels and 5" squares, cut up using the "disappearing nine-patch" method. 

There has been some interest in using this for a free Sew-A-Long here in the future. If you are interested, let me know in the comments below, and when we reach 2500 followers, I will do that. We are about 2300 now so follow by email or with Google if you  have a Gmail account--it's easy and you don't miss any of the posts, usually twice a week, Wednesday and Sunday.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

10 comments:

  1. I have wanted to do a neutral quilt for awhile now. Always gets put on the back burner. I’d love to join in a sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I would love to participate in a QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in! Now that Color My World is finished I would love to make a neutral quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be part of the disappearing nine-patch QAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like the free quilt along disappearing quilt as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely interested in a neutral quilt! Thank you for deciding to do one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing your quilting choices. I love getting ideas from others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to join a Sew-A-Long for this quilt. It looks like such a versatile pattern.

    ReplyDelete