Friday, December 1, 2023

HOMEWARD BOUND -- THE QUILTING

 We made it to the end of the 2023 Block of the Month quilt for The Quilt Show! Let's talk about how you might want to quilt it.

Here are a few photos of Sarah Fielke's quilt, showing some of the quilting. It was custom longarm quilted by Australian quilter Kat Jones:




I sold my top to Alex Anderson. She will have it longarm quilted and I will be eager to see how it is finished. 

If I were quilting this quilt myself, here is how I would do it, using the Bernina Q20 sit down longarm. First, I stitch in the ditch along the lines of construction. 

Top to bottom first: 


Left to Right next:

This stabilizes the quilt, allows the removal of lots of pins, and gives areas for free motion quilting around the applique motifs. This step is done with a Line Tamer Ruler, my go-to for all straight line quilting.

I use a fine thread for this step, either Quilters Select 80 wt or Microquilter by Superior 100 wt thread, in a color that blends with the background. On this quilt I would use light gray. Bobbin thread is Bottom Line by Superior in a color that blends with the backing fabric.

If I wanted the free motion quilting to show, I would use a thicker thread for the decorative quilting. My favorites are So Fine 50 wt by Superior, Quilter's Select 60 wt., or Glide if I want some shine. Thread color is the most important factor for me as I don't want my stitching to show, I'm just not that good at it. 

This is essentially how I quilted Garden Party Down Under, the 2022 Block of the Month quilt. See my detailed blog post about quilting that one here: Quilting Garden Party Down Under

I have written MANY BLOGS about machine quilting and Ruler Work. Use the SEARCH box on the left above, the orange B space. Type in Ruler Work or Free Motion Quilting to find them. 


This quilt can be quilted edge to edge if you don't want to do or pay for Custom machine quilting. Look what good friend Margo did with her Homeward Bound. Simple is sometimes perfect:



Here are more images I took from the photos posted on our Forum: MONTH 12 -- Show Your Completed Top Here!:

Renee:



Patricia B:


I LOVE this pieced back made from "orphan" blocks--it hides everything

It will be fun, interesting and educational to see how everyone quilts this quilt. Please post it on the FORUM when you are done. And we will  be watching for photos of these quilts hanging in Shows with RIBBONS on them, it is sure to happen.

PLEASE ADD A LABEL TO YOUR QUILT! Yes, I am shouting. It is so important. It tells the who, what, why, where, and when of the quilt. Be sure to add the name of the pattern and designer, Homeward Bound by Sarah Fielke. And the name of the quilter if you didn't do the quilting. Find my blog about making labels here:  LABELS-- don't leave home without one

And the last, most important reminder: NOW is the time to save/download all the patterns if you haven't started or any you haven't gotten to yet. After December 31, 2023 all rights return to the designer and no one can give those to you. It is easy to download them all HERE: HOMEWARD BOUND PATTERNS.

If you are not yet a STAR MEMBER of The Quilt Show, now is a great time to join. For $49 for one year you can get ALL of HOMEWARD BOUND and will be ready for PICK A PETAL beginning January 1, 2024:

You also get access to over 500 Shows, all 15 years of The Quilt Show, and everything that comes with being a Star Member--including a 20% coupon for one complete order in the Store. So much bang for your buck--join us in this worldwide quilting community: JOIN TODAY

Let's quilt.

Barbara


3 comments:

  1. Could you explain how the template set is utilized?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Pick A Petal the templates are used to cut out all the pieces for the blocks. It also includes Mylar shapes for preparing the appliqués. You can make the templates from template plastic but won’t be able to rotary cut safely around those.

      Delete