Sunday, October 13, 2019

Best of Show

Sometimes you make a quilt you love, even if it takes 8 years to complete.

I began Ruffled Roses in January 2011 when it was the Block of the Month quilt for The Quilt Show.com. Designed by the late Sue Garman, I loved it from the moment I saw it. The fabric selections are mine but the pattern is true to Sue's design.



This took years, lots of turned edge machine applique', and was put away during tax season each year, and then was on the back burner for a few years. In November 2015, I got it back out and worked on it at a private retreat Sue and I were on together, for professional teachers, by invitation. I invited her to join us and was so pleased when she was able to arrange to come.

That week was so special for both of us. We became true friends and I felt like I was sitting at the feet of the master, trying to be a sponge, to soak up all I could from her. We shared a lot in common, and talked for hours, walking on the beach and as we worked on our projects, side by side.

Here Sue is, enjoying the sun at her favorite stitching spot at our lovely beach house getaway:


Little did we know then, she would soon be diagnosed with terminal cancer and in a little over a year from then she would pass from this world.

I finished Ruffled Roses recently and entered it in my guild show, the Heritage Quilters of Huntsville Fanfare 2019. I miss Sue so, still think of her often, and wish she could see this.

Fortunately, I have a local longarm friend who does beautiful work and wanted to have a go at this one. Lois Kindley will get her own blog post soon. For now, here we are:


Selected as Best of Show from among 225 wonderful quilts, I feel so pleased, yet humble too--I learned so much from Sue, who was the most generous, giving person you could know. She would be pleased for me, I am sure.

Soon, I'll have lots of photos from our show--it was so good. It just ended last night so I have to do the other quilts justice with a long post, including names of the makers.

If you missed this show, I am sorry. If you attended, you know how good it was.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

21 comments:

  1. Yes! She was a Master! I miss her too. ☹️
    Your quilt is wonderful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margo. I know she meant a lot to you too.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations from Denmark. I loved Sue so much. Followed her to the last blogpost - beleiving in life to the last. I could not make her last TQS quilt - it was too sad. But we meet her in quilting heaven. I made Ruffled Roses but it needs the quilting. Its true as you say - its a journey to sew that quilt. Pia

      Delete
    3. Her daughters are keeping her alive through her patterns.

      Delete
  2. I have always loved that quilt. In 2011 I remember seeing it as the TQS BOM. But at that point in my quilting life there was no way I would even think to attempt it. Darn, I didn't take advantage of The Quilt Show BOM that I could have gotten for free: grrrr at myself. I do know better now. When you got that out again I was surprised. Congratulations on your win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. We try to hard to encourage and remind TQS members to download and print the annual Block of the Month patterns if they think they will EVER make the quilt. It's free for that year only. You can still buy it from www.comequilt.com, but it will cost about $80 now. The same is true for Sizzle right now. On January 1, 2020, it is gone from TQS as a free pattern--that is the licensing agreement with the pattern designer.

      Hope to see you in Houston or when I get to your area November 20-21

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to Sue. She has had such a huge impact in the quilting world and has touched so many lives and will continue to, lives of those who don’t even know it!
    Honored to be a part of this tribute to her. I appreciate your heart and the deep value friendship holds. Bless you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, Sue can see your quilt and I'm sure she is so pleased for you. Congratulations. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful.
    The 8 year journey with that quilt was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see she inspired you to become a Master Quiltmaker. Wonderful work and congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your heartwarming story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! In 2010 I discovered Sue Garman's patterns. She was an amazing person and very generous. When I wrote to her about her red and white fabrics, not only did she write back, she explained why she used the ones she did, but also the exact shades of colour. Since then my wish list has had a number of her patterns on it. This will be used to eat up a lot of the fabric that is in my stash. Her patterns all had a journey, so working on each quilt is the fun part. The journey may take time, the end result a quilt, which makes us smile and hug us with warmth, every time we lay eyes on it. Your quilt is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well deserved honor--it is absolutely stunning, Barbara.
    How lucky to have had such quality time with Sue. I never met her, but have loved and admired her work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a marvelous, wonderful quilt, Barbara! I know you still must be riding high! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. STUNNING, Barbara - congratulations on finishing a gorgeous quilt with so many intricate seams in it! I have this pattern and Stars for A New Day from Sue along with several others. Those are some day projects for me. You helped me at a few times in my Patchwork Barn journey through TQS last year - I'd love to send you some finished photos. I JUST purchased the perfect shade of blue sheets yesterday and excited to have that all come together on our bed! I hear the new TQS BOM will be another of Sue's quilt patterns, revealed NOv. 1. Do you get early peeks at that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sylvia, not only have I seen the 2020--I made it. A few of the Sunday Sew and Sews helped me get a queen size quilt top done in 5 weeks. It was quilted in the next two weeks and I bound it--8 weeks start to finish. You are going to love it!

      Delete
  11. Wow! So many exceptional quilts. Thanks so much for sharing. Being here in SoCal don't get a chance to see quilts in other states.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous!! Congratulations Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete