Wednesday, October 9, 2019

New Class Ideas

Time for me to plan local classes for 2020. I'm ready to offer a few new classes and update my Quiltmaking 101 Class--for true beginners.

The sample I have used for QM 101 is now 12 years old. While the block is still perfect for a beginning class, I am making a new sample with current fabrics and making the overall project simpler. Most students in this class are really beginners and this will be easier for them.

New blocks in progress:

This is the new plan:

Somewhat easier and faster than the current project:


I am also eager to play with large prints, using the book "Organic Applique" by Kathy Doughty, a shop owner, fabric designer and author from Australia:


The project will be a fairly simple pot of flowers from her book--it can always be enlarged to make a larger quilt. It will be a fun and easy way to work with very large prints, something most American quilters are not used to. My sample might not get done until I return from Houston in mid-November but I've been reading her great book and ideas are percolating. Stay tuned...

Yesterday I was asked to create a class using Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts:


This will be a year-long, lecture/demo class--all sewing will be done at home. It will be a good Quiltmaking 202 class--for those with basic skills who are ready and eager to increase their knowledge and learn lots more tips and tricks.

Fortunately, one student has a completed quilt so the sample is ready. Now I have to work on the class plan and pick dates--not that easy when trying to schedule for a year-long class. The book is ordered--I will take it with me to Houston and work on the individual classes when I have free time--just the planning, paper to pencil--or more likely, Ipad Pencil to Ipad.

My ongoing hand piecing project just came down off the design wall so I can put up another project too long in the making--a patriotic Pineapple Log Cabin that will be a Quilt of Valor. Here is the hand piecing project--far from done but it is my travel project so who knows when it will be done:


Here are two of the pineapple blocks--I have at least 25 more of these done but-- I CAN'T FIND THEM! It annoys me to not be able to find something I know I have. Looked in all the places where they "should" be--nope, haven't found them yet. Guess it will stay on the back burner until those other blocks turn up:



UPDATE: I FOUND IT!! October 22, 2019. Not where it should have been, in a stack of finished quilts. Now I know I can finish this in 2020:


In 2020 I plan to finish a few long-term quilts since I don't have to make the 2020 Block of the Month quilt for The Quilt Show--we did that earlier this year. Soon, it will all be revealed and I'll be able to show it to you--can't wait!

October 11 and 12, 2019 is the Heritage of Quilters of Huntsville's Quilt Show--Fanfare 2019. We only do a show every two years--it is a LOT of work--and our show is truly worth your time to see. Great quilts, terrific vendors, demos all day long both days. If you are anywhere near us--Nashville to Birmingham, Iuka to Atlanta, be sure you get to this show:

Heritage Quilters of Huntsville

Lots to do, little time to do it, but all this keeps me busy and happy.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

2 comments: