Wednesday, January 1, 2020

AFTERNOON DELIGHT--Month 1, Part 1

This pattern is the 2020 Block of the Month pattern offered FREE to Star members of The Quilt Show--join today to receive the entire year of patterns free. This is in addition to all the great content provided by The Quilt Show, 26 shows, a new one every two weeks, and so much more. If you want to know more about why I am such a fan, here is why.

Welcome to Afternoon Delight, designed by the late Sue Garman. This month you will begin to make both pieced and applique blocks. Part 1 will discuss the pieced Shoo Fly block. Part 2, coming January 2, 2020, will discuss applique by machine, both raw edge and turned edge techniques.


Find information on Fabric Requirements here.

Read ALL the directions before beginning. If you have the Kit, you will find it easiest to cut the fabrics according to the list provided each month. This month simply decide which fabrics are Backgrounds 1-6 and Prints 1-6 and cut the sizes listed in the pattern accordingly.

For example, Backgrounds 1 and 2 are cut 8" x 12" to start with. They will be used for the Shoo Fly half square triangles and Applique blocks 1 and 2 backgrounds. Each fabric is listed as to where it is used that month and what size to cut the fabric to accomplish this.

TIP: All the applique backgrounds are cut 8" square to start. After all the applique is stitched, you will trim the block down to 7.25"--this is the unfinished size. More about Applique in Part 2.

The Shoo Fly Block:



Sue's directions are excellent, with great visuals. I won't repeat what she says here. I will only try to clarify a few things.

The instructions say to cut Background 1 and 2 into two 3 1/8" squares. Since you know Background 1 and 2 are also used as Applique block backgrounds, you can cut those 8" x 12" fabrics into one 8" square each and use the remaining 4" x 8" pieces to make the two 3 1/8" squares from each background. NOTE: I cut the squares 3 1/4" and sewed them first before cutting--see below.

Follow the directions for Prints 1-6 to cut the pieces needed for the Shoo Fly blocks. All of the fabric left will be used in the 4 Applique blocks. Do the same for Backgrounds 1-6.

My sample quilt is being made from red, white and blue fabrics. Here are the parts ready for two Shoo Fly blocks:

NOTE: I prefer to make half square triangles from squares and I cut them slightly larger, 3 1/4" instead of 3 1/8". After sewing on both sides of a drawn pencil line, I cut them apart, and "trim to perfection":

I am willing to waste that much fabric for that much perfection. Trim to 2 3/4"

I am working scrappy, from leftover pieces and yardage. All I do is see what sizes of Background/Prints are needed and cut those from scraps. I am using some fabrics more than called for, some less.

The entire quilt has a total of 9 Shoo Fly blocks, each with 41 pieces. They will be placed all around the quilt, not assembled until the end. So it really does not matter which fabrics are used in each block. Just spread the colors around as you like.

With my red,white and blue theme, I had at least three choices when it came to the Shoo Fly blocks--red and blue corners in each block, or some all red, some all blue. Which do you prefer?



My choice is shown at the top of this post.

You will like how those little four-patches "float", meaning the corners of the little squares not not supposed to touch the outside edges of the block or half-square triangles. That's just the way the simple math works out and it's easier too.

You are encouraged to post photos on the Forum in our Afternoon Delight Block Progress Show and Tell Topic.  Show and Tell Your Blocks Here

The Forum is the first place I post updates/suggestions and each time I post a blog that covers Afternoon Delight, I post a Topic on the Forum to alert you--just in case you don't follow my blog.

Please feel free to ask questions--the Forum is a great place to ask--I check it at least once a day.

There are 9 of these blocks in the entire quilt--Sue spread them out over 5 months. But now that you know how to make them, if you are itching to get ahead, go on and make some more--remember, just 9!

Part 2 posts January 2--we will tackle the Applique blocks there.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

18 comments:

  1. And here we go .... Looking forward to this 2020 BOM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to start with the Shoo Fly Block. I printed the intro and month 1 from The Quilt Show website. I ran into a snag. I printed them one after the other. The intro printed just right, but month one printed shrinking the text to about 3/4 size, so my block patterns will not work. I don't understand how that happened. I did not change anything in the printer options. I contacted The Quilt Show and am waiting for some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the first to report a printing problem. Be sure Month 1 is set to “Actual Size”. The introduction and monthly patterns are two different documents, from two different sources. Double check all the printer settings before printing the monthly patterns. The square box around each appliqué needs to measure 6.75”, the Finished size of the block.

      Delete
    2. I encountered the printer problem as well. I am going to try printing just the patterns. I noticed the first page is landscape and the rest portrait and that may be part of the problem.

      Delete
  3. joined TQS for the first time. Love your teaching and patterns. Hoping I can keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work at the pace that works for you--it's not a race. The piecing goes quickly, the applique a bit longer.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt and pattern. So tempting to join in and make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to making this stunning quilt. I can't find the cutting directions for Block 1 Shoo Fly Block. All I see is instructions for the 1/2 square triangles. Where do I find all specific cutting measurements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Month 1 pattern is 15 pages--the Shoo Fly instructions are pages 8-10.

      Delete
    2. The pattern is on The Quilt Show Website, www.thequiltshow.com. Join as a Star Member to get the year long pattern free.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is one of my favorites! Probably should renew...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can’t lose—membership is about half the cost of buying the patterns!

      Delete
  7. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to renew many times over the last 10 days. I've also called (left voice message) and emailed asking assistance. I don't think TQS is managing their customer service very well. I'm disappointed ... Hopefully it will get straightened out before I'm too far behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot reply to you privately, you are set to “no reply”. I have notified TQS to look into this but do not know your TQS username. Please email me—my contact info is above in My Profile—About Me. We will get you signed up, I promise.

      Delete
  8. I have just started month one -- my first time doing a TQS BOM even though I have been a member from soon after the site began. I wonder if you could clarify the numbering of the fabrics. I am doing this with scraps so I have way more than six fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to number the fabrics. This month cut the pieces needed from as many or as few fabrics as you wish. I used scraps so probably have more than called for this month.

      Delete
  9. I just finished sewing together the ShooFly block and wonder which way to press the seams in anticipation of putting the whole quilt together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Kay. The Shoo Fly blocks will be sewn to Double 9 Patch blocks. Ideally, the seams will be opposing each other. I pressed the Shoo Fly block seams toward the outside, the Double 9 Patch blocks toward the inside. I will show photos and address pressing in Month 2, posting February 1. Thanks for asking.

      Delete