Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Log Cabin Quilts

Like many quilters, there are certain blocks that just speak to me. Some are "bucket list" quilts that are on the list. Some are just "wouldn't it be nice to make one of these someday" dreamer quilts.

Today let's look at Log Cabin Quilts--here are a few of my favorites.

1. Barb Vedder's Big Pineapple  Ever since I saw Barb working on this on Instagram, I have wanted to make one. This link shows how she spray basted it for machine quilting--I'll be eager to see it finished:


2. Antique from Julie Silber. This is a great log cabin Julie said was 1930's. The colors are so bright and pretty and cut small enough, can be made from today's contemporary fabrics for this look:

3. Antique on Display at the European Patchwork Quilt Meeting, Show Photos from Teri and Kara. There are a lot of beautiful quilts in this blog post. Notice how different this one feels from #2--very dark vs. very light:

4. One I have made before and would like to make again, in a bed size this time:


It is based on this old crib quilt I learned about at Appraisal classes in Paducah, 2008:


5. One Giant Log Cabin Block   Anita Grossman Soloman  Antique quilt circa 1880. Featured in the book Rotary Cutting Revolution.   Ever since I saw this quilt, I've wanted to make one like it: 

  I have made a few log cabin quilts over the years:

My first, 1989, made for and sold to Christmas Year 'Round magazine:


The basic Log Cabin, titled "Waste Not, Want Not" 1993:


Half Log Cabin, 1995, begun in a class with Sharyn Craig:


Batik-y Log Cabin, 1997:


A one-block Log Cabin, 2014. Pattern from the book Utility Quilts by Carolyn Forester, given to a friend. Hand quilted with "big stitch":


Creative Log Cabin, 2017, made as a class sample then used as a gift for a man I wanted to give a quilt to:

This year my Patriotic Pineapple is a "must finish" but some of these are still calling my name.

Let's quilt.

Barbara

7 comments:

  1. what a great quilt show of Log Cabin quilts. When I saw the thumbnail photo on Bloglovin' I thought "I know that quilt".
    I have it basted and marked and need to get it quilted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. great segment on your new BOM on TQS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. log cabins have always appealed to me as well. I’ve been contemplating doing a series of them. There are so many variations it seems endless. Loved seeing you on TQS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love log cabins--you shared some great inspiration here, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete