Wednesday, January 8, 2020

New Projects for the New Year?

This is the time of year that a lot of quilt projects get started--often offered on the Internet, some for free, some as subscription.  Some are called Sew-A-Longs, some Quilt-A-Longs, some are Mysteries. Lots to choose from.

I try not to get pulled down that Rabbit Hole but occasionally I do.

Here are a few I am thinking about:

1. Two BOM for 2020 from Barbara Brackman

This year Barbara Brackman offers two Block of the Month quilts, one pieced, one applique. I learn so much history from Barbara Brackman's Block of the Month patterns, most of which is women's history. Not sure I will do either of these but I'll be following along. Here is the 2019 Applique quilt, Hospital Sketches--this is NOT the 2020 quilt but gives you an idea of what is to come:


2. MODA Blockheads 3 starts January 15. Here is where I first learned about it: MODA Blockheads 3 is coming--this blog is by my friend, Betsy Chutchian. Here is her Blockheads 2 quilt from last year:



The Facebook group for MODA Blockheads 3 says there are 14 designers and 56 blocks. I couldn't find a link yet with fabric requirements but there must be one as the Facebook group shows lots of people's fabric bundles.

3. Kathleen Tracy's Small Quilt Lovers Facebook Group 2020 Mystery Quilt:  This is available on Facebook in Kathy Tracy's Small Quilt Lovers group. I have started this because I like small quilts, the pieces so far are simple, and I wanted a Leader/Ender project right now--Step 1 prepped and ready to go:


4. Temecula Quilt Company: Scavenger Hunt Sew Along  This starts soon and requires the latest book from Sheryl Johnson:


5. Bonnie Hunter's Annual Mystery: Frolic MysterThis one is just about over but the patterns will remain available to download/print through January 31, 2020. I am saving the patterns and when the mystery is revealed, I'll know if it's one I'm ever likely to make.

I'm sure there are many more out there, most I never  hear about until they are finished. What about you? Are you working on a new quilt this year or have a favorite coming online this year?

Let's quilt.

Barbara

7 comments:

  1. I got fabrics for a new quilt just last night! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing the Bonnie Hunter. I did it last year too. I love the pace of one clue a week and trying to keep up with everyone. I do The Quilt Show and that's all I can handle. I have done Ester Elihu and her clues come out on the 15th of the months. Her's are amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps spelled her name wrong it is Esther Aliu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides the TQS BOM designed by Sue Garman (thanks for all your great tips, Barbara!) I’m also doing a 6 month BOM offered by Stitchin’ Heaven Quilt Shop called Sew Merry. It’s a cute appliquéd Christmas quilt I’ll make for grand-girls that features some sewing motifs. The girls are now interested in sewing, so I think they will like the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many tempting things out there, right? :)
    I do so little in the way of SALs, but I used to do so many of them that they dominated my sewing time. Now I usually just do Lori's small quilt SAL, but had to skip the most recent one. I think my focus will be mostly on finishing large quilts I have in the works, and making a few new little quilts along the way. But I do have a scrap quilt in mind that will be large, and made from the leftovers from my Mom's quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I sure agree. I have made it a priority this year to finish a couple old projects I really want done before starting anything new.

      Delete