Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Old Italian Block Qults

Another block that I really love is the Old Italian Block, often called the X Block.

I have made a couple. This was made in a swap with several other quilters, a great use for this block:


Wider pieces in these two, same size blocks, 8" finished:



Miniature, 3" finished blocks, given to a special friend:


Stella's Doll Quilt, blocks are 5" finished:


This block is often seen used in Civil War Soldier's Cot quilts. It is easy to make and can be made in a variety of sizes. I love to teach this workshop and have written about that here: X Marks the Spot   

I also have a Tutorial for making these blocks one at a time instead of in group:  Old Italian Block Tutorial.

It is likely I will make more of these--they are so easy but a great way to use your favorite fabrics.

Let's quilt.

Barbara





4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite quilt blocks. Didn't know you had a tutorial on it. Might get off the bucket list and actually become a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that first quilt. I believe I saved your instructions somewhere to make the mini blocks (of course). Now I just need to remember where they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really lovely! I like that first one, too -- and Stella's doll quilt, too! I made one of these blocks during one of Barbara Brackman's Civil War BOMs. It's the one that made it into her Civil War Sampler book! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete